ZX Alarm Recommendation?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

ZX Alarm Recommendation?

Post by Ross_K »

Anybody got any thoughts on the best sub-£150 (sub-£100 would be even better) alarm to fit on a ZX with keypad immobiliser?
Nothing fancy needed - just something to operate the central locking (IR plip range is terrible [xx(] ) and make a racket if someone smashes a window. I had a cheapo Meta alarm on my last ZX, but I can't find anyone in my area who fits them now. The company who fitted it now say their £200 Cat. 1 is the cheapest one they do.
I'm in the Glasgow area BTW, if anybody knows of a cheap installer.
Cheers
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I bought a very loud sparkrite alarm from Argos for about thirty quid, which can be interfaced with the central locking if you buy the sparkrite interface, which Argos don't do, however!!
Its got adjustable sensitivity to the car being knocked or a window smashed, and works on sensing volt drop from the battery, best of all, it took 15 minutes to fit including drilling the holes for the mounting bracket!! Its only downside is the very loud blip when its armed or disarmed.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I bought one of those cheap spark-rite (spark-crap) alarms for mine, as mentioned you can buy the interface but they are absoutly expensive and cheaper to get a normal all in one and spark-rite is pee poor anyway, ive still got mine in but i dont use it as it just started going off whenever, all you have to do is keep the insides of the car clear from content and hopefully you have a removable face plate on your stereo (leave the citroen flap up, i learned the hard way), in the end thieves are gonna break in the car if they want something bad enough despite an alarm going off as it only takes a few seconds, so dont waste your money on an alarm (especially at the cost you've reserved) and keep it aside for if the thieves really do go all the way and take the stereo with no face [xx(]
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

mezuk04, apparently my postcode is the worst (or second worst) in the country for car break-ins. [}:)] I learned long ago not to leave anything on show, but around here it doesn't matter. The dumb junkie scum would stick a brick through the window just to have a nosey in the glovebox, or to nick a radio with no face like you say.
Security is one part of it alright, but I would like a c/l plip that works from more than a 6-inch range and thought I might as well kill two birds with the one stone.
BTW, I had a quick Google and found the Sparkrite c/l interface for £30. Cheers for the suggestions guys.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Good find out the interface, infact i recall wilkobob pulling one out of the scrap yard last week (just came to mind), havent got a clue if it works so may be best getting a sparkrite alarm, and i'll send if you the interface if he still has it about - just a suggestion!!!!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Ahem... giving my things away now are we... ha ha. Anyhoo, chris has a sparkrite alarm, which im gonna test this thing on when i get chance... keep us posted on your alarm situation.
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Heh heh, no I wouldn't expect stuff to be given away for free. [:)] I found a website for a local place selling Microscan stuff for about the same price as the Sparkrite in Argos. Judging from the pictures, they seem to be identical. I'll let you know how things go... [;)]