POOR MW/LW RADIO RECEPTION

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I remember those things, they were also used on some Skoda's with aeriels etched to the sunroof. The screen aeriels were so useless that they needed signal boosters, but a booster should not be needed with a normal aeriel, and if FM is clear then it can be assumed that at least the aeriel is working properly!!
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi folks thats my problem, FM reception is excellent, it is just the MW/LW.
Given the fact the factory fitted unit worked perfectly it is begining to look more and more like a faulty unit, but as I said the fitter is coming with an aerial booster tomorrow so we can only but wait and see if this cures the problem, apparently it plugs into the aerial socket and the areial lead pugs into it and it then takes a live feed normally from the electric arieal connection to power it up, so it sounds promising enough.
Will lets you all know how it goes.
Peter
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Ah, now the radio reception (FM through to LW) has always been pants on my Xantia - even with a different radio fitted.
Might look for an amplifier / booster.
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

Interesting the comments about window aerials as aren't they supposed to be making some kind of come back for those who can afford DAB car radios?
I love listening to R4 LW in my AX and turning the indicator on. That lovely clicky sound ...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think window aerials have been used on the back windows of Range Rovers for some time. My Fathers LWB one has them if I recall correctly and also has an aerial amplifier.
jeremy
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leonardo</i>

Interesting the comments about window aerials as aren't they supposed to be making some kind of come back for those who can afford DAB car radios?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If you're wanting cheap DAB for the car, Makro are selling a Goodmans radio for 69.99+VAT. Looks like this one:
http://www.webactivemagazine.co.uk/prod ... re/1151315
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hiya Folks,
Good news the problem is well and trully solved, areial booster fitted reslt.....perfect (well as perfect as AM can ever be) MW/LW radio reception with not even ticks as you use the indictors, I honestly can't believe the difference it has mad, it is now even better than the recepion on my old unit, in fact it is better than the reception on any radio in the house.
Many, many thanks to you all though for your help and suggestions, so if any of you are experiencing a similar problem, stick an aerial booster on and give it a try.
Peter
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its test match special and five live for you now!
Did they say why it wouldn't work without the booster?
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Bxboder,
I did say in passing to the fitter maybe you should bring a booster for all Xantia's and he said this is the 1st time that he personally has had to fit one to a Xantia as naormally it is a stright swap over, so I can only assume he is as perplexed to the reason as the rest of us.
All I can say is I now have a cracking radio/cd/mp3/wma unit fitted that works from my stering wheel controls all for less than £100, which is less than I was quoted just to replace my defunct cd changer in the boot, and at that I was only getting the ability to play cdr/w discs.
Many thanks to you all for your help and advice and long may this forum continue to help us all.
Regards
Peter