Now I have a BX!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Thanks Tom, I hope it's good! I still have the leak to put right, a bit of trim to find, a lot of oil to clean up, a safety service to do (including timing belt, oil seals etc), some paint to tidy (particularly on the plastic trim), the heater blower to check and the hand brake cables. Then I'll put in a temp guage and see what other useful mods I can find on the net. If I get the weather it'll keep me busy!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave -
There are 2 different type of pipes coming from the rear :
1) Under lhs in the rear corner of subframe you have the safety valve with a rather complicated mess of steel piping. One of these steel pipes however just passes by here and takes the route via the rear side of the subframe - towards left. Here it ends and joins a rubber hose.
This is the rear suspension working return from the rear HC.
The hose is separate from the Octopus and continues thru the mess of piping/hosing on rhs up to the reservoir - where it ends as 1 of 2 smaller rubber hoses moulded to the next-largest hose on the reservoir.
The second one of these 2 smaller hoses is the similar hose from the front HC.
2) under the rhs you have 2 plastic hoses coming from the rear suspension. One is clear plastic and a bit smaller in dia. This is the leak-off from the rear HC. The black one in a bit larger dia is the rear suspension cylinders leak-off. Both these pipes connects to Octopus mating rear pointing rubber studs on top of subframe - just under the pinion valve (on a rhd).
As Mr B pointed out it will most likely be a cut and splice job to get a working lenght of the pipes.
This larger dia black plastic pipe can carry rather large amounts of LHM - because on the Octopus side it's connected to the front suspension strut's leak-off. And these have a habit of getting pressurised once the front struts wears out in their (internal) ram cylinder O-rings.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Welcome to the BX club, sounds like you got a reasonable deal there, the bits of ally sound like someone has been looking for a way into the bellhousing to see the thrust race, you might get to see it by cutting a hole ther but you couldnt really do anything to it??? still another one on the way to being saved[:)]
Stewart
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Thanks, Anders, just what I was looking for - a detailed description to confirm what I was thinking! I do suspect this leak is from the rear height corrector return; it certainly squirted out some fluid as I lowered the suspension! If that's the case I will be able to do a cut and paste alteration.
What sort of join does this pipe have? As I said, it appears to be just a push fit - the metal pipe from the rear pushes into the plastic pipe. To seal the joint there is a small section of larger pipe over the top fastened with a small jubilee clip. Is this correct? There is obviously some pressure in the return due to the amount of fluid being squirted down the pipe. Would it be safe to blow down the plastic return with a bicycle pump to check it is clear? And is it safe to use sealant to help the seal?
On the subject of pipes, I tend to replace the screen washer pipes with silicone tubing (fish tank stuff) as it never seems to deteriorate with age. Is there anything similar that can be used for the non-pressure side of the hydraulic system?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

proper parts are available and may not be very expensive. Some are shaped and have moulded junctions.
There shouldn't be any real pressure in the return system - if there is and its popping off pipes it generally means something has failed.
Whatever you use must be insoluble in LHM - diesel fuel tubing will probably do but is a bit pricy. Clear plastic tends to harden and deteriorate over the years but would do for a couple.
jeremy
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

The plastic pipes I have found (so far) have been pretty pliable. Anyway eventually cleaned the pipes up, reinserted the metal one into the plastic with some sealant to aid the seal and replaced the jubilee clip with a proper one. Playing last night and I haven't leaked yet. So hopefully thats one leak easily fixed.
I notice reading other posts that you all seem to have a good supply of spare bits - pipes, seals etc. What should I buy to start off my useful bodge a Cit spares collection?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

supply of spare bits - pipes, seals etc. What should I buy to start off my useful bodge a Cit spares collection?[/quote]another BX.........
I got lots of bits off a BX dumped outside my house by some arrested addicts/thieves, and I looted the bits that will eventually give up and die (i.e. fan blower, HP pump, etc), but are'nt cheap to replace without a trip to the scrappers, where the BX is now getting rarer.This bonus came my way in the 7 days between the council notice going on and it being craned away.
Other than that, I just keep service bits that if I haven't got them in the shed may keep the car off the road for a couple of days while I get them, i.e. hoses, clutch cable, throttle cable, that sort of thing. Not all motor factors have these on the shelf now.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

The only thing I can add to what bxbodger said already:
ALWAYS have at least 2l of LHM handy. The ideal place to store the bottles is right next to the windscreen washer tanks (it may be that the BX head designer left the space there intentionally for this purpose[:D]).
I also use the space so cleverly provided for storing clear flexible (PVC?) pipe from a hardware store and a Stanley knife (they are useful when a return piping cracks - fortunately, I had to use this thing only once because of rotten safety valve return), spare belts, penetrating oil, contact spray, bottle of distilled water for the cooling system, old rags, 1l of engine oil, little plastic funnel, spark plug wrench, set of 6 - 13 spanners, a screwdriver with a set of bits etc. etc. [8D]
It may also prove useful to buy a handful of relays (surprisingly, IMHO they are interchangeable) and possibly an alternator once you find a friendly scrapper ready to bargain...
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davek-uk</i>

The plastic pipes I have found (so far) have been pretty pliable. Anyway eventually cleaned the pipes up, reinserted the metal one into the plastic with some sealant to aid the seal and replaced the jubilee clip with a proper one. Playing last night and I haven't leaked yet. So hopefully thats one leak easily fixed.
I notice reading other posts that you all seem to have a good supply of spare bits - pipes, seals etc. What should I buy to start off my useful bodge a Cit spares collection?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
For a good source of spares, buy another one! Or in my case 2[:o)]
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I'm already getting grief from the other half for having one BX on the driveway! There is no chance of having a spares donor too. Somehow having an old AX with a poorly engine was better than a £30 BX - "it must be cr@p, it was only £30".
Having refitted the pipe at the front I noticed a drip at the rear (is it going to be one of these cars?)[:(] There was a hole worn in the nearside (LHS) rear cylinder vent pipe. As it goes under and around the rear axle it has rubbed on the sharp heat shield. Now cured this with a short length of clear plastic pipe and sealant - I split it lenghtways and fitted it as a sleeve (held in place with tie-wraps); I didn't want to cut the original pipe as it only had a small hole.[:)]
I've no idea where this pipe goes. It loops up over the rear axle and goes across the car. I guess it joins into the offside (RHS) rear cylinder vent somewhere above the axle (nice place[:(!]) before it goes up front.
At least it's off the ramps now and not dripping green blood![:D]
As for spares, thanks for the replies. I have tidied the garage (what a job) and found some gash lengths of silicone tubing, clear plastic tubing and some diesel leakoff piping - all to be added to by toolbox!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

That sounds like the LHM leakback vent pipe which does indeed join up with the other vent pipe and makes its way up the r/h side of the car towards the octopus. It's definitely the vent pipe if it's the vent nearest the rear of the car. The other is an air vent to equalise pressure for cylinder travel - this just voids into the rear subframe - fine unless there's excess leakback.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Yes that's the one Dave. Bloody stupid place to join them - out of sight above the axle! How do these connect to the cylinder? I could see it disapear into a rubber boot with a two wire 'jubilee' clip but was too afraid to undo it! Hence having to cut the sleeve I fitted.
Give the BX its credit, I have discovered so much more in nearly two weeks than I had with nearly two years of Xantia ownership!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How do these connect to the cylinder? I could see it disapear into a rubber boot with a two wire 'jubilee' clip but was too afraid to undo it! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If I remember rightly from when I had the rear cylinders off mine during repiping they don't actually go anywhere other than into the rubber gaiter................