New lawn, any gardners?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have 2 Mullard EL34's still in their 1960's boxes, 12'/6d each No, they are not for sale!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
pretty good investment - they go for aroud £40.00 each now[:p]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Useless info, me mum worked at Mullards here in Fleetwood in the early '60's making valves.
Lawns to valves in 17 post's, off topic or what?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I bought a 'Quad 303' its the nearest thing to valve sound I have ever heard [:)] Cost me £150 second hand out of the area paper, its very ugly, but the sound is superb [^] I even managed to find and download, a complete instruction manual for it online. [:D]
Seems my lovely flower covered fence is in fact bindweed!! lmho.. looks nice though.. [8)] [:)]
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

2 skips, 4sqyd+6sqyd, 1 mini digger, 4 days later, i`m knackered BUT we have a lawn, ended up this morning filling a 4sqyd skip by hand. I`ve got a audio alchemy adp solid state amp plus the rest of my hifi is british, not valve but i dread what the baby would do to that.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

This is how you cut grass...
Let it grow as long as you can (until the complaining from SWMBO about the grass can't be tolerated any more), then you grab the mower out and cut it as short as possible.
If your lucky you'll almost kill the grass and you wan't need to cut it again for a couple of months. If possible use a slasher mower, it chucks the cutting back on the top (saving you emptying the catcher) and slows the grass from growing again.
I use an old 2stroke version one of these:
seeya,
Shane L.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citrojim</i>

I enjoy antique pendulum wind-up clocks, playing electric guitar and anything electronic that has valves in it, especially valve guitar amplifiers...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
S'funny, Jim - I have been restoring clocks and valve radios for years!
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Forth</i>

Can replacement valves still be bought for old radios of late 1930s/1940s vintage? I've got one my grandparents used to have and it does work but its valves are a bit tired.
Hi Forth
Do a google for Wilson Valves, Valves UK (IOW) and others.
Most 30s/40s valves are British, UX or Octal bases.
Generally, old radios do not need valves - other bits fail first. It is a <b>bad</b> idea to switch on a radio that has not been used for several years - much damage can be caused, even if apparently working.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

Useless info, me mum worked at Mullards here in Fleetwood in the early '60's making valves.
Lawns to valves in 17 posts, off topic or what?
What, I think, Dave.
And there was me wondering why he wanted to put a diesel engine in his lawn. Sort of a sculpture, maybe? The 5LX was a nice one - they fitted them in Bristol buses & lorries.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

This is how you cut grass...
Let it grow as long as you can (until the complaining from SWMBO about the grass can't be tolerated any more), then you grab the mower out and cut it as short as possible.
If your lucky you'll almost kill the grass and you wan't need to cut it again for a couple of months. If possible use a slasher mower, it chucks the cutting back on the top (saving you emptying the catcher) and slows the grass from growing again.
I use an old 2stroke version one of these:
seeya,
Shane L.
Just think, Shane, what you could do with a Gardner instead of the 2-smoke!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

There's no way I could afford to pay a gardener ....
The block my house is on is about 1500sq meters.... 1/2acre ... Grass, there's lots & lots & lots of it. I have 8cars (big CX, DS's) and to put it into perspective they only look like toys parked way up there against the back fence.
seeya,
Shane L.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

There's no way I could afford to pay a gardener ....
seeya,
Shane L.
Shane, I said <b>Gardner</b> (as in the subject) not <b>gardener</b>.
The Rolls-Royce of diesel engines, sadly, too big to stick on your mower. [:(]
The cylinders were in blocks of 2 or 3, so you couls have 4, 5 or 6 cylinders.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

(just to expand on a previous comment I'd made about brushcutters/strimmers)... If anyone's looking to buy one, Stihl's 36cc 4-stroke really does deliver on its claimed 15% reduction in vibration compared to a 2-stroke, and its 1.9hp doesn't mean a heavy machine at all.
Btw, the "S-start" unit on the Tanaka seems by far the best of any I've tried for quick and easy starting.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

oops, had meant to ask.... anyone got experience of snags or benefits in getting a steel ex-shipping container to use as a shed/workshop? Am seriously considering a 20 foot one (unfortunately at 8ft wide, too narrow for a garage)... they seem a better value option compared to an off-the-shelf steel or prefab concrete shed/garage.
Also, has anyone tried the SIP 170amp dual Mig welder, or other gassless migs (I've only used the ordinary Migs) and what's the verdict on them?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

170 amp's a big mig - what are you hoping to do with it? - structual steelwork? You will probably need a heavy duty supply or something for it if its going to be used to capacity.
If you want to weld your fence or make trailers - then gasless will probably do. If you want to mend your car you will probably need gas. Gas MIG's can use a finer wire (0.6mm) and when you are doing thin metal you will need all the help you can get and more.
However if you want to use it outside in the wind you'll need gasless as the gas shield will blow away.
Jeremy
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Steel shipping containers?
1. You will probably need planning permission.
2. You may not get it.
3. If you do get planning permission, you may probably reconsider the purchase after the first winter.
Condensation will be a HUGE problem. And with steel walls, putting up shleves will be a pian. And electrical accessories will require very very careful installation.
4. And you will not get radio reception in it, so listening will be out.
5. And in the first hot summer you and the contents will cook.
Apart from that it's a great idea:-)