Disaster Strikes - Heeeeeelp...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Disaster Strikes - Heeeeeelp...

Post by CitroJim »

After a really successful day yesterday replacing my strut tops on the Xantia, today has been just the opposite!
After discovering my car has ABS but no warning light (amongst others, notably ignition) I decided to have a look at these problems.
So, instrument cluster out to find all bulbs good. Not that then.
I put the instrument cluster back in to find the speedo not working. I then had it out again and pulled on the end of the speedo cable. The white bit came off in my hand! I had a real struggle to get the old cable out (which was worn anyway, causing a wobbly speedo) so then I got well stuck into the warning lights problem. +12V on both sides of the ignition lamp but 0V on the alternator so wiring problem between the two. But where?
In my attempts to find the problem I disconnected the battery. Big mistake! The alarm is now permanantly set and I just cannot disarm it using the switch under the bonnet. I have a plip that does not work so no help there! The red LED now flashes constantly and has never lit up before during my ownership of the car.
Please help me! How do I reset my alarm without a plip, any tips on refitting the speedo cable and any common problem to cause my warning lights problem along with half the panel illumination in darkness..
Thanks, thank goodness I have the 205 to fall back on!
After a day like this it can only get better....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The alarm I cant help you with, you will have to wait for somone who knows, as for the alternator volts, make sure that the bulb is making contact with the print both sides, try taking it out and putting it in again making sure it goes right home.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the alarm can be stopped by switching on the ignition with the key within a few seconds of connecting the battery.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think you can reset the alarm with a switch on dash,it tells you how in the owners hand manual regards malcolm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

ABS? which idiot told you your car has ABS.[?]
/Homer runs off and hides.
P.S. Alarm, if I remember correctly on MK1 is turn ignition key then press alarm button on dash.
Mk2 models (with transponder immobiliser) you just turn ignition on.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

1)Connect battery.
2)Lock & unlock door with key (alarm will sound).
3)Within 30 seconds, turn on ignition whilst holding alarm button down.
Repeat from 2)if alarm sounds again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for the alarm reset procedure. Excellent.
An update on the lamps and ABS: The ignition light was a broken sense wire to the alternator. It looked perfect but was broken internally near the ring connector at the alternator end.
The ABS light is now working. What a game, took me all day to find it. Turned out a brown multiplug buried deep in the wiring looms near the ABS ECU was partially pulled apart. Deliberately I guess to put the light out. I now find the ABS light comes on, flickers three times and then stays on. The O/S/F sensor is open circuit...
Still, I have learned a heck of a lot about Xantia ABS today...
The speedo cable is a game for another day when it arrives from GSF....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check the connector if you havn't already, the salt water gets in and corrodes them