Xantia handbrake ........

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Xantia handbrake ........

Post by Jshodgson »

Does anyone have any tips on how I can see if my Xantia needs its handbrake cable replacing? It scraped through its MOT but has gradually got worse to the point that it will not hold on a hill anymore.
Thanks in advance
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There is a guide on the strut that the handbrake cable goes through. My 94 eats handbrake cables because this guide does not have the plastic insert in it that the '97 has (the 97 doesn't wear the cables at all).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It may be that you are a gentle diver and that the thing isn't self adjusting properly. Push down hard on the pedal with the engine running and operate the lever a few times. If it isn't better start investtigating - cables, siezed operating levers on calipers (not common)
Cables, as Kowalski tend to chafe through on the support brackets - easy to see. The outer cable will actually cut through.
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

outer cables usuly fracture due to the point where it runs through the giude on front strut constantly being flext every time you turn the steering wheel,if your outer cables are cracked at this point it is likly the lever on caliper is not being let off completly,in which case your calipers wont adjust up in normal use,as they are ment to do so as your driving and useing the foot brake,all this said first try park car on level ground engine running handbrake off press foot brake hard 2 to 3 times but dont stamp on it,know try you hand brake see if it has made any diferants regards malcolm