2 Xantia Q's:gearbox oil and aux drive belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

2 Xantia Q's:gearbox oil and aux drive belt

Post by Gaskin »

So 2 questions in several parts....
1.)My Xantia has a transmission type whine that seems to occur at 40mph regardless of which gear or neutral and whether clutch is in or out. So my first idea is to change the gearbox oil. Haynes book makes it out to be fairly straight forward. Is it? If so then how level does the car have to be?
2.)When do people change aux drivebelts? (apart from just after they have broken!) Again Haynes implies it is a straight forward job, but talks about manual tensioning using so expensive dealer only kit and automatic tensioners. I guess you do not need to tension it if it has an automatic tensioner. Is this right?
Cheers
Duncan
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Are you sure it is the transmission? Front wheel bearings can make a similar noise, listen to tne noise while you are cornering, is it louder in one direction? if so it will be the bearing that is taking the weight.
Regarding the belts, if they look as though they are wearing its better to change them than have them break, its not a difficult job, just tighten them until you cant make the pulleys slip and then a little bit more.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I put on a new auxiliary belt every time I change the cambelt - and that's every 40K. I would rather do that than contemplate putting on a belt at the roadside.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The thing about a snapped aux belt on a Xantia is that you lose your hydraulic pump. That means no power steering, no suspension and (most importantly) no brakes. Its not like a "normal" car where you could drive it until the battery went flat.