Why has my Xantia got ABS Sensors on it?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Why has my Xantia got ABS Sensors on it?

Post by CitroJim »

Whilst doing my strut tops today I noticed that my driveshafts are of the ABS type with a cog pattern around the CV joint and there are ABS sensors present and apparantly wired. Now according to all I can tell my Xantia does not have ABS. No light on the dash and more critically, no ABS unit under the bonnet so far as I can tell and no indication under very heavy braking that ABS is present.
So why? do I in fact have ABS and the ABS unit is very cunningly hidden or is it something else? I'd love to know...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

All SX trim Xantias had ABS as standard!
If the light isn't coming on then you have a problem. Possibly the bulb has been removed to cover up a fault with the (costly on early models) ECU.
dean36014
My Cars: 1991 Citroen Bx 17tgd
1991 Citroen Bx St Tropez
1994 Citroen Xm 2 litre turbo estate
1998 Citroen XM 16v
2004 Citroen C2 1.1sx

Post by dean36014 »

I had a '95 sx, definately had no ABS, no sensorors or rotors fitted either.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

If the light isn't coming on then you have a problem. Possibly the bulb has been removed to cover up a fault with the (costly on early models) ECU.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hmmm. So where is the ECU and Valve block located in an early SX? 'Cos as I said, I can't find any trace of either at all!!!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I think it was all TD SX's and 2.0 Petrol SX's that had ABS as standard.
My 94 SX Td had ABS. None of the LX's had it as standard.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The ECU and block on mine were right between the battery and the strut mounting.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

They didn't originally, it was an option BUT later on it became standard equipment. I'm not sure when it became standard, but I think it was some time before the MKII Xantias came in.
The ABS Valve block and ECU are as mbunting says, between the LHM reservoir and the battery. If you have ABS there will be a aluminium casting with various metal pipes going into and out of it, the ECU plugs into the valve block and has a large plug on top of it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks all, yep, mine has ABS!
No lamp though, mind you, half the dashbord lamps don't work anyway. One day I'll take instrument cluster out and replace 'em. Then I'll see if the ABS lamp works as it should.
Is there any way to test or ascertain that the ABS is working without the warning lamp?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ABS warning lamp not doing what its ment to do is MOT faliure regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

ABS warning lamp not doing what its ment to do is MOT faliure regards malcolm
Indeed. Makes me wonder how it passed just before I bought it but then it makes me wonder sometimes how a lot of cars get an MOT these days... Suppose no light, ABS valve block and ECU well hidden, Friday afternoon and hey presto, a ticket assuming non-ABS.
Ahh well, typical Xantia, one job begets another...
Off to do a few ABS-related searches now...
Many thanks everyone for clearing up this..
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The easiest way to test if your ABS is working is to drive along, make sure no one is behind you, then slam the breaks on. No ABS and your wheels lock up and you skid. With ABS working you'll feel the break peddle judder and won't get any wheel lock.
I have an intermittent ABS fault. When faulty the light comes on and if I brake hard the wheels skid just like a non ABS car. If I brake hard wit hthe ABS working the car just slows down without skidding.
I took a corner in my ACTIVA the other day. A lorry was in the middle of the road. I hit the brakes, the ABS light was on so it was faulty, all wheels locked up and I skidded to a halt.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A more safe testmethod is finding a quiet road with grass in the kerbside - then at low speed slam the brakes on. You should then get the wellknown back-kicking on the pedal - quite scaring if you never tried ít before [:D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

are you sure there is no light on when you first turn the ignition on as it should be and then it should go out after so many seconds regards malcolm
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>
They didn't originally, it was an option BUT later on it became standard equipment. I'm not sure when it became standard, but I think it was some time before the MKII Xantias came in.
My Dad's 1994 SX 2.0 definately doesn't have ABS, no computer, no sensors, no place to mount the sensors. According to what I've read, only the VSX, Exclusive and Activa had ABS in Mk1, while in Mk2 the SX also has ABS and air bags as standard. (But not Hydractive 2 or Electric seats...)
Regards,
Simon
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

are you sure there is no light on when you first turn the ignition on as it should be and then it should go out after so many seconds regards malcolm
I see no light that seems to be an ABS light Malcolm. As I say, I know I have a few out though (half the illumination and the ignition lamp). All that comes on when the ignition comes on is the STOP, Oil pressure and red brake lamp next to the STOP lamp. There is a funny amber lamp above it that I take to be the oil level lamp which goes out after a couple of seconds. It appears to have a sort of dipstick diagram on it. I checked all the ABS ECU fuses and all seem intact. Thanks for the tips on checking ABS. I will try that as soon as I have a chance on my own in the car and it's quiet.
What does the ABS warning lamp look like and where on the panel is it?