xantia td cambelt covers ..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

On my 2.1 XM TD I had the water pump and tensioner pulley changed at the same time as the belt. I was paying for labor so parts were not the main expense.
While you are there perhaps check the crankshaft pulley- mine broke less than a year after the timing belt change and had been squeeling a bit from the aux belt beforehand.
regards
sean
patneenan
My Cars:

Post by patneenan »

I asked for a quote the other day for a cam belt change on my Xantia Activa, and the mechanic very strongly advised me to change water pump at same time.
Is this sensible advice?
P.S quote was £185 for belt ,tensioners and w/p all in.
That sound O.K. doesn't it?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

All good mechanics know its good practice to replace tensioners & waterpump with the cambelt - as you are there anyway.
Especially if unknown history and/or mystique noises. Replacing each of these parts individually means a re-newed cambelt replacing job.
Thus labour is not much more than the cambelt alone and parts are not that expensive.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The big part of doing a cambelt change with the bolt on covers is undoing the bolt that is down the back, covered by the pipe that comes off the turbo. If you can get to that bolt and undo it you should be able to replace it, i.e. there is no adavantage to replacing your covers with clip ons until the next time you change your cambelt (i.e. 72k miles or 5 years if you believe the Citroen servicing schedule).
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

my 405 used to have bolt-ons, but after the engine mounting on that side broke, and it was going to cost me an arm, leg and major organ to replace it all (broken covers, snapped bolts etc) I converted the engine to having clip-on's. It was a fair bit of work, as you have to fit the backplate, and there's a stub in the cylinder head that has to be removed to accommodate the earlier mounting bracket. Also the water pump is different. Saved a fortune myself, but then I robbed all the parts I needed from an old scrap 1.9D engine in my garage.
Changing the water pump while doing the cambelt is almost essential in my mind. I would only not do a water pump if I knew I had done it last time. If the pump jams/fails/siezes, then you can wave goodbye to most of the valves, and probably at least £500 for a new head.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's simply no point in converting to clip on covers. You're looking at maybe 90 mins extra tops each time the belt is changed - every 70k miles - and you'll use up half of that getting the covers off the first time. You MIGHT have one more belt change, but most likely you will have scrapped the car before then. There's nothing wrong with the covers - they're just a ball ache! It is apparently possible to get the rear bolt out without removing the turbo hoses, although you'll probably need to let them go from the top of the engine to get enough room to get the bolt out - just for fun that bolt down the back is a different size (11mm) to all the others (10mm). Remove the crank pulley and attack the 10mm nut on the front cover from underneath - frustratingly, although the top cover is slotted, the bottom one isn't, so you need to remove the nut completely. The 10mm bolt behind the engine mount is just awkward however you look at it. You're very unlikely to need to replace the tensioner or idler - they are generally reckoned to be good for at least 150k miles. The squeaking noise on start up will be the bearing in the aux belt tensioner - they almost all do that to a greater or lesser extent - just changed the belt in our ZX and although there was no play or roughness in the tensioner it still squeaks away! Go very carefully when undoing the bolts holding the tensioner down - you do NOT want to round one of those out!
I helped my mate change the belt on his car with clip on covers - the job actually took longer than mine with bolt ons, as the hole in the block was blocked with carbonised oil, so we had to take the starter off, and the tensioner spring was sezied and had to be hammered back to get the belt off. Fun, fun.