XM hydraulics help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The pump takes over and its constantly struggling to maintain system pressure, the job normally done by the accumulator sphere- thats why you get a lot of clicking and the pump will consequently wear itself out pretty quickly if it doesn't get sorted!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As I stated in my last post I don't think it is the accumulator that is at fault but the non-return valve in the regulator. If you are not careful you are going to be charged for a new sphere and or a regulator that you don't need.
Jeremy
nino

Post by nino »

Thanks a lot. i'll make an argument with the mechanic. So the valve (assuming it's the fault) can be easily replaced alone?
You are talking about the valve located "on" the acc sphere?
Excuse my ignorance :)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 : 00:16:57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have expected the cycling frequency to have slowed when the car was raised to full height.
Clearly the accumulator is not holding anything. Generally this means that the sphere is flat but as the frequency didn't slow when the car was raised it suggests an internal leakage somewhere, probably from the regulator non-return valve. This is found on the face under the sphere on the regulator and is simply a ball bearing retained by a metal plate and a bolt. The bearing can be re-seated by striking it smartly with a brass punch and re-assembing. Steel must NOT be used as it will put a flat on the ball. My own BX went fron cycling every 8 seconds or so to so long that I can't be bothered to measure it and I did it about 3 years ago.
Before doing that job its worth having a look in the reservoir to seee if its likely that air is getting into the system (milky looking in places?) (The system doesn't have seals and relies on surface tension. Air doesn't have surface tension and so the valves and things can act like an air sieve if you get what I mean.)
jeremy

This is not a recognised repair - regulators are considered unserviceable by most mechanisc. Its just that on many its this valve that fails and is simply repairable - BX TD ones can be done without removing anything more than the sphere (ie with the regulator in the car) and removing a regulator is generally a pig of a job as you can't get at it easily - I use a 2 ft 3/8 in extension bar to get the bolts out)
By the way has anyone worked on the hydraulics recently? Just possible the pressure relief bolt has not been tightened - does NOT need excessive force)
Full details and good diagrams here
http://citroen2.triger.com.pl/kc/pdf/citguide.pdf
jeremy