how to make a diesel quieter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

name of the cleaner i was saying about a post or 2 above is liqui moly. its brilliant stuff.got another tin of it today what a difference. you can use anti knock or injector cleaner.
solara

Post by solara »

I use the cheapest rapeseed oil I can find.
moomin

Post by moomin »

anybody know where you can buy veg/sunflower oil in bulk as apposed to a few litres at a time?
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

you want pure vegatable oil and nothing less sunflower oil is far to expensive, run three tank fulls with no more than 70% oil to 30% diesel then run one tankful all diesel otherwise you will sludge your fuel filter up it sets like jelly in the filter esspecially if the weather drops below 10 degrees C. if your going to use oil in the winter then buy an inline diesel fuel heater renault make one for their trucks otherwise search for a stanadyne fuel heater it comes with a relay and heats to 50 degrees C then cuts off fit a 12 volt dc remote switch so you dont have to go out in the cold on frosty mornnings in your underwear to turn the heater on, fit a 12 volt led inline and turn the heater on for 15mins before you drive away, warnning run a 750 watt 12 dc heater overnight and you will kill your battery no matter how heavy duty the battery is.
with a bosch fuel pump andgood clean new oil you should be fine.
I mix 50/50 and get around 78 to the gallon at 60mph on a run thats a lot better than 45mpg on diesel. but knowing that diesel is watered down before it is sold with ethanol does help a bit, petrol is watered down with benzine by up to a third, to make more profit, its got nothing to do with saving the planet.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

If your car has a Lucas CAV injector pump (as most 306 TD's had) be aware that running vegetable oil will almost certainly kill the pump...

For what it's worth, I think the XUD is a lovely sounding engine!
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

PS, it's not an HDI is it? If so vegoil is not a good idea...
Jonathan
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

LOL 78mpg.... :roll:

Veg oil doesnt gel up the fuel filter the same way it doesnt gel up in the tank or the injection pump, you can run a good engine on almost 100% Veg down to about minus 2... Citrojim will testify they start as if they are on diesel at minus 3 :wink:

Since when has diesel had ethanol in it? :?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Diesel producers will tell you its a detergent designed to keep your engine clean they add these addatives to dilute the fuel and keep profits high.

all this from an official who works for a well known oil company.

if you try to but ethanol it will cost you some serious money just for 5 ltrs oil companies are buying it in bulk and adding it to fuel. so the grapevine says. yes I questioned this to but I do accept that something is going on because diesel doesn't give the milage it used to in a well maintained and regulary serviced every 3,000 miles, diesel car should return 500,000 miles). adding veg oil at a 50/50 ratio
increases milage compared to adding a full tank of diesel, I have had gelling up of the fuel filter with concentraitions of more than 70% veg oil in the summer months let alone winter, its more like a liquid jelly sludge as apposed to a hard jelly, keeping the fuel system clean by emptying the fuel filter and filling the void with injector cleaner before reassembly seems to keep the system cleaned out, with concentraitions of more than 70% veg I have noticed a power loss after three tank fulls, thats why I said run 3 tanks then 1 tank diesel.

Moomin

if you want to buy veg oil in bulk you will need to buy either the metal 10ltr cans that the chineese resturants use or giant pallet sized 5000 gallon containers if you tell them its for road use you will need to pay quite a bit of tax on it. it does help to know someone in the catering trade as a lot of suppliers will only entertain the food trades. it is difficult having to explain that you want bulk delivered to your home instead of a resturant then they get suspicious and can report you to customs and excise to cover their own back as they would be aiding and abetting a known criminal act, so stick to buying 3 litre bottles unless you Know a resturant owner.

The other option is collect the used oil from the back of Kentucky fried chicken outlets who pay for the disposal of their oil so they get a free service and you get free oil but you will need a fairly large cleanning set in a inconspicious large garden shed, the byproduct of which will be an oily smelly soap, you would also need a license to buy certain chemicals which are now limited for sale to the public because of the terrosism laws.
I have no idea how joe public gets around this one but an elite few do manage it.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, Hi, good to see you back on here :D

I'd be very surprised if there's methanol in DERV as methanol as a byproduct from biodiesel production remaining in the finished product is seen as a very bad thing.

It can do for your pump seals on an older car that does not sport bi0-friendly viton seals. That goes for the older petrol cars too.

As I say, my belief is that methanol is not used in either petrol or DERV unless catagorically stated, such as the Morrisons E whatever it is.

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: The other option is collect the used oil from the back of Kentucky fried chicken outlets who pay for the disposal of their oil so they get a free service and you get free oil but you will need a fairly large cleanning set in a inconspicious large garden shed, the byproduct of which will be an oily smelly soap, you would also need a license to buy certain chemicals which are now limited for sale to the public because of the terrosism laws.
I have no idea how joe public gets around this one but an elite few do manage it.
I presume you mean making biodiesel :evil: Anyone who wishes to do this at home using chemicals such as mathanol (a highly flammable deadly poison) and caustic soda (a deadly corrosive, especially to human flesh) and a process that involves heat and chemical reactions quite frankly need to be led away by the men in white coats and be subjected to a long, hard look at their mental state; they really must be absolutly stark, raving bonkers...

Running SVO or filtered WVO (even from KFC :lol: ) is fine but making biodiesel is taking it just beyond the realms of sanity.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

CitroJim wrote: I presume you mean making biodiesel :evil: Anyone who wishes to do this at home using chemicals such as mathanol (a highly flammable deadly poison) and caustic soda (a deadly corrosive, especially to human flesh) and a process that involves heat and chemical reactions quite frankly need to be led away by the men in white coats and be subjected to a long, hard look at their mental state; they really must be absolutly stark, raving bonkers...

Running SVO or filtered WVO (even from KFC :lol: ) is fine but making biodiesel is taking it just beyond the realms of sanity.
Here here! I am currently running my Xantia on WVO, however in the past looked quite extensively into producing biodiesel, but was rather stunned when I discovered the dangerous nature of the chemicals required to do this; I am far from Mr. Health and Safety, but dealing with chemicals which have the potential to make you blind/develop respiratory problems/get severely burnt is not my idea of fun... IMHO if you want to use vegetable oil related fuels, whether for economy or the environment either buy a car that will run on the stuff in unadulterated form with slight tweaking (eg. anything with an XUD and Bosch pump, or an old Merc diesel) or find somewhere reputable from where you can buy ready-made biodiesel.
Jonathan
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

As a 504 diesel owner I know a little about noise! Start will looking at the insulation around the engine bay. Is the bonnet and bulk head lined? Are there things like plastic air intakes that rattle too? If you dont like cold start, then invest in a hot start kit, which keeps the coolant or oil temp heated by electric when plugged in to the mains. I agree about timing, its its out a bit then the engine will knock.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

I AM INSANE, I make my own biodiesel in the garden shed, as long as you have a well built reactor and follow the H&S thing PPE ect, it can be done safely and cost less than 16ppl, my 405 (lucas) loves the stuff and I havent paid pump prices for over 10k :D

Have a look on www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk if your interested.