strut top update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Just a minor point, but the hydraulic pipes supplying the suspension look different to what I've got fitted to both of my Xantias. Both of mine have a steel pipe with some plastic protectors on them to stop chafing where as the pictured car has some big flexible rubber pipes.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

citronut.hi do you have any pics of the top of the strut as I would like to see how it comes apart,do you just remove the top nut ,are there seals in there??? regards john.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Pictured car must be a VSX with hydractive, which is why it has the fat pipes. Good job really, as otherwise that failure would have knackered the steel supply pipe that runs all across the back of the engine as well, and that is apparently a complete (-expletive removed-) to replace!!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Is it not possible to fabricate and weld-bolt on some sort of extra support to strenghen this entire area? 1/4 x 2 inch lenghs of iron bent to suit, for example? [8)] [:)] [?]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont think so as this has to be able to flex,if you look at my pics you will see the base and metal dome are ment to be moulded in rubber,rubber perishes then the metal rustes away then bongo regards malcolm
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Saw a similar thing happen to a sierra many years ago when the driver hit a speed hump (the nasty bolt-on violent type) too fast. Both sides went straight through the bonnet. I remember thinking "a sierra. Oh well, no great loss then [:D]"
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes but with a (f ix o r r epair d aily)it was probably the inner wings rusted through regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

Is it not possible to fabricate and weld-bolt on some sort of extra support to strenghen this entire area? 1/4 x 2 inch lenghs of iron bent to suit, for example? [8)] [:)] [?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Seen photographs on an Australian site of 'irons bent to suit' bolted to the strut top mounting bolts and passing over the top nut to allow free movement.
Can't find that back yet.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Clogzz</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Seen photographs on an Australian site of 'irons bent to suit' bolted to the strut top mounting bolts and passing over the top nut to allow free movement.
Can't find that back yet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It was Shane (Double Chevron) who did that. If you ask him I'm sure he'll dig it out for you.
A bit agricultural but looked as though they'd do the job.
Alan S
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Looks the business to me. Nice one Shane. [:)] [^]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what a palaver,why not just replace strut tops with new ones and do the job properly in the first place regards malcolm
richiesxantia
My Cars:

Post by richiesxantia »

Does anyone know if you can use hydractive strut tops (or struts) on a non-hydractive xantia?
I know the pipes are different sizes, and the spheres have different pressures but I can adapt the pipes and fit the old spheres...
Are there other insurnmountable differences? ie:
- differences in strut shaft to strut top mounting,
- other stuff
I have access to a hydractive car <80000 miles with good tops, but mine is non-hydractive :( I just bought mine thie week (a real bargain I thought : turbo, taxed, tested and tidy with towbar for a tiny 150 quid) Shame I didn't see this site first! A great resource!
Anyone find just the tops for sale new cheaply?
Looks like GSF have whole struts for 140, or citroen sell the tops for <90 each...
Anyone found cheaper, or have experience finding them from scrappys?
Anyone want to swap some good hydractive tops for some non-hydractive ones?
cheers,
Richie
Aussie holidaying in wales on a miniscule budget...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

there are 4 differant strut tops listed,cit say they must have RP No to determin which is the corect one for you car,i dont know what the differants is apart from non activ or activ or even activa apart from pipe size regards malcolm
richiesxantia
My Cars:

Post by richiesxantia »

Simple question from a new owner : where do I find the RP number on my Xantia?
cheers,
richie