lots of wear on side of tyre

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes trackingout will allways wear both tyrers exactly the same amount,because if it was out on one side when your driving in a strait line it equals it out half the distence each side all be it just a fraction of a mill,this is why its called towing out or in regards malcolm
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Looks like I am going to be drawing lines tomorrow and see whats going on
Thanks for the help so far
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

While on the subject ... (sorry guys [:I])
This late evening while re-fitting front wheels on Son-in-law's BX - we were both scared by suddenly being aware of heavy INNER edge wear on both front tyres.
I immediately ordered him to wind out both tie rods 1 full turn on the threads - explaining/guiding him the work.
The car is driving in the correct height - is a N/A diesel (bit guttless) - thus driven very relaxed. It's NOT used for everyday commuting - but mainly long weekend trips (he is a uni-student).
Anyone got experience to how much 2 full turns (in total) out on tie rod threads would do in final toe in change ?
Must be possible to etimate from thread size, tie rod point etc. Hmmm...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Anders
For many years I have used an extremely cheap and accurate tracking gauge which is simply 2 cranked lengths of square alloy bar fitted into a square tube with a pointer and a scale. What you do is measure the distance betwen the internal tyre walls, making the adjustments to get the reading at the end with the scale. before I got hydraulic Citroens I used to park the car over a drain gulley in a car park behind my house which gives me a bit more room to get underneath without having to raise the car but I've now found I can use it on the BX from one side.
I have also done the BX using blocks of wood. I used 2 lengths of 4inch by 2 inch (because I had some and put 2 pads on each so tha when they were placed by the tyre they touched the wall and avoided the bulge. I then simply measured the distances with a steel tape measure and got sensible answers. In fact the tyres then wore flat so I must have got it right.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you should not do this check from tyre wall as theyv are uneven,you should check this from wheel rim edge you will get fare more acurat mesurment regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you forgotten your basics Malcolm [;)]
Mark up the measuring point with chalk on the tyrewall - then roll the car 180deg tyre turn either direction - still on known level ground of course.
Does not matter then with uneven tyrewalls (or rim edges [8]) as it still is the same ref point. But the ref point also now has exactly moved by the toe setting - in the horizontal plane.
Yeah I know J [8D]
Make up a large vernier-gauge like tool - then gauge inner walls of tyres - as depicted in my comment to malcolm above. Trouble is my garage is blocked by lawn mowers and general mess [:I] - so dont have any level workground near me [8)]