MOT question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Driving against kerbs ?
If not too severe the rubber can be "freshened up" with common silicone spray - even a DOT brake fluid makes tyre rubber look fresh & new.
If the tyrewalls are not damaged there is nothing wrong in doing some make-up to the rubber.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

It depends what mood the testers in and how bad it is- you usually find it on a tyre thats not been used much but is getting on a bit. I'd just take the car in and see what happens.
Have a look here-http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I know if you have a spare it must be legal but can't remember if you now need a spare. I know in the past I have taken them out if I was concerned!
I had this on the Zx - an original michelin on the back with a very crazed outer wall. It was passed a couple of years ago with a recommendation to replace - and it got a nail in it a couple of weeks later!
Interestingly the inside wall was fine - so it could be light of some frequency that does it or alternatively kerb abrasion removed a protective layer and what was underneath was sensitive to light.
jeremy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

UV degrades the rubber, Jeremy, so you are quite right.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thanks Tom I knew that I should have used factor 25!
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Cant see that its illegal to have a spare wheel since your not exactly gonna run on a knackered one....its like my 20 year old fessa....it had a rear fog light so it had to work....if you have a spare it has to be legal since its in the position to be used...if its dangerous then its dangerous....if you dont have one then it cant be that dangerous to you
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My suggestion is that as superloopy is in some doubt that his car will pass the MOT and therefor is a bit reluctant to spend money on it - that he use the spare instead of the crazed tyre and then sorts it out afterwards.
What I'm not certain about is whether the spare is essential for an MOT - I know that if its there it must be legal - even if not very safe to use - eg strange sized spacesavers.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Not so I'm afraid. The only requirement for MOT to do with the spare wheel is that it is secure. It can be bald, flat, missing, punctured, and generally unsuitable for the road, but as long as it isn't loose it's not a fail.
An offence would only be committed if this bald/otherwise damaged tyre was fitted as a roadwheel.
I've lost count of the number of MOT's I've been through with a spare tyre on the car that doesn't have legal tread on it.
It even says so in the MOT guide link shown above: "This inspection applies to: Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel."
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Another crazy and daft MoT rule. I wonder how many people rock up for an MoT with items a damn site heavier than a spare wheel floating around in the boot.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

What I'm not certain about is whether the spare is essential for an MOT - I know that if its there it must be legal - even if not very safe to use - eg strange sized spacesavers. jeremy<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Pretty sure its not a fail point if you dont have one - always taken ropey spsres off the car when MOTing and they have passed. My mates RS Focus didnt come with a spare as standard, just a puncture repair outfit - and the BX went for its test with the wheel and tyre off an AX as its spare (3 stud!) & it passed.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is only a fail if you can see the cord through outer skin of rubber,and as FAF said spare and or spare carrier is only a fail if insecure,so if this is the case give it some therapy,also its best to have some sort of tyre in usable condition you never know when the air sucking fairy will strik regards malcolm