Wierd noise Xantia TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chrispy
My Cars:

Wierd noise Xantia TD

Post by Chrispy »

Ok, another odd one for you chaps. My car is making an intermittent funny noise that sounds like it's coming from behind the dash or on the bulkhead of the engine bay. It does it whilst you're accelerating and decelerating between 1800 and 3200rpm and sounds like someone slowly opening a really creaky gate in time with the revs. Another way of describing it would be someone twanging a small plastic ruler on the edge of a desk and moving the ruler in thus increasing the pitch.
I can't for the life of me think what it could be. It's not affecting performance or anything, but the noise is starting to get on my nerves! It doesn't always do it, so for example, you accelerate from a standing start and as you hit 1800 rpm until you change gear...then it silent, that is until a minute later when you decelerate and the noise happens again.
At first I thought it was the turbo spooling up and spinning down but it appears to do it at really low rpm (before turbo spool up) and at higher speeds too if you back off the throttle.
Anyone else had this and can someone give me an insight into what it might be?
Cheers,
Chris.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could it be exhaust related - cat disintegrating? Something touching? Deteriorating engine mount?
jeremy
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Sounds a bit like the engine mount of mine which was on the way out a few weeks ago...
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

If its sort of like a low growl for 1 or 2 seconds then my 2 Xant's have done it, I think it something pressure regulator related, but could never pin it down
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

How about Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR)? DUnno if the TD's have these though....
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Ahhh could be, it is that sort of area
like a groany noise that alters pitch a little bit as the revs rise.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I think it is something hydraulic, both mine do it, sometimes I notice it more than others, could be something to do with the pressure reg as paranoid says, I thought it was gearbox to start with but fairly certain it isn't. Only other thing is the turbo, as it only happens when I'm accelerating
Pete
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Driving around in my newly aquired DTRturbo with the interior ripped out. (have to find a water leak and dry out the cabin).
This makes all strange noises come into the cabin very clear and loud - as there is a direct opening at the gearstick.
<font color="blue"><i>I have exactly the same noise Chris</i></font id="blue"> [:D]
- and really : the noise is best described as a plastic ruler played with to make it go twwwaaannnng [:p]
This noise is a mystery for me on the turboDiesel.
On petrols this noise would be the wellknown rattling/vibrating hot air intake shield/cowling. A very common nuisance.
I'll have a go on the protective heatshield clipped onto the steering rack. I remember I grapped in this area when I replaced the front HC. I'll let you know - when I know [:)]
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Yaaay I'm not the only one!! Yes, it is like a growl that increases/ decreases pitch slightly with revs and it appears to do it at random. The opening and closing of the EGR valve would be a likely candidate as mine is the late TurboD with the electronic Bosch fuel pump that has all the fancy emissions gizmos.
Another thing I've though of is perhaps the electronic timing advance thats bolted to the bulkhead as thats where it sounds like it's coming from. Thing is though, this does not work on my car hence I've adjusted the pump screws all the way out to fix the idle at the hot setting of 850rpm.
It's gotten worse recently, perhaps to do with the hot weather, I'm not sure. Thing is, revving the car at idle doesn't do it...you have to be in gear and moving (loading the engine) hence why I thought it was turbo related.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

The more this happens, the more I think it's the EGR. Has anyone ever disconnected these? Will I have an error check light on my dash if I do? Will the engine run ok?