xantia fans not working update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The plugs/connectors and relays behind the grille cause fan troubles.
Removing the front grille only allows access.
See maps:
http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks clogzz
thats been very helpfull ill trace the circut,s and maybe find out whats wrong ive changed the relays apart from the centre one if i change that nothing runs until i put the same one back in so i prefer to leave that one alone but i do have a voltmeter so i can now check the voltages on the fuses then go from there whats happening is the right fan comes on at full speed the left comes on only if i give it a nudge it then only half the speed of the other but when there both off if i give the left one a nudge anti clockwise it kicks the other in the clockwise direction (very strange)so i think i should check the earth supply on the left hand motor and check voltages before condeming the motor i can do all this now thanks to your page. tell me if its right that the right motor spins at full speed and the left at half speed thats after a little nudge from me
thanks a lot
pete..........
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Pete,
If you have to nudge a fan to start it, the brushes are likely to be worn.
Both fans always have to do the same thing at the same time.
Both stopped, or both at low speed, or both at high speed.
If they do different things, the cause is in the relays or their connectors.
Best of luck !
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

ok thanks alot clogzz
thanks you,ve been a big help
pete.............................
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

pete it sounds to me you dont read and take in info,you can replace these fans through grill without touching any of the rads,not as hard as it may seem when you get down in there regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pete@co.uk</i>

ok thanks a lot clogzz
thanks, you've been a big help
pete.............................
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No problems...all free !
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi citronut
well ive already tried last week to get the fans out by removing the grille i can only get a spanner on one of the nuts (the top one) and undo it but the other two lower ones are causing me the problem my ring spanner wont seem to tuch them and the space there is very limited perhaps i should try to get a 10mm ring spanner with a deeper reach. but it certinly looks possible with the right spanner. but ive had no luck as yet.
pete...........................
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks clogzz
you,ve been a big help ill try and get one of those spanners then maybe i can get those fans out, ill let you know how i get on.
pete..................
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Pete,
It looks like the trick is to separate the fan proper, the spinning blade assembly, from the motor for easier access to the fan motors.
The screw at the centre of the fan has a left-handed thread, sooo...turning clockwise loosens it.
See Malcolm's entry:
<i>Simple, if your double jointed, I have done these on air con car, through front grill, if your fan has a screw in centre this is left hand thread,so instead of lefty loosy, righty tighty, it's righty loosy, lefty tighty, then withdraw fan/s from motor spindle/s, cant remember if its 8 or 10 mm nuts and bolts, whichever it is I used a 1/4 drive ratchet and a spanner,you can just about get in there,undo three on each motor,then ease motor away from mounting point,the plug stays attached to front panel regards malcolm</i>
Best wishes, and have a good fiddle !
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi and thanks clogzz
ok well i sure will.
thanks
pete.........................
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm not around much at present so haven't been much help, but the fan comes off (LH thread as has been pointed out) and the nuts are behind the fan blade. From the other side all you can see are round stud heads as these are captive bolts. One of mine has had them drilled out and replaced with hex types but whilst it may be OK in this instance, if the threads were to get corroded, I think that sets off a whole new set of problems.
Now you can see my insistance on being 100% sure the fans are A1 before reassembling?
I'm a bit vague on this as it's a while since I did mine and I have a lot of other things on the old mind at present, but you sound as though you're definitely on the right track.
Alan S