Stiff steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Steering: Is the ride height correct? its possible if the front has dropped that all the steering geometry goes beserk. If I remember correctly Renaults have always conceded weight problems on their small cars as some of the facelifted Renault 5's had power - about the first for their size! (late 70's?)
Power - does the throttle open fully? daft but cheap!
jeremy
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JamesQB</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>marpate1 suggested</i>
I'd tend to have a look at the universal joints on the steering column - they could be siezed. Also, check the lower arm ball joints. Jack the front wheel up, grab top and bottom and see how much free play there is. My Xantia steering went very stiff when the ball joint collapsed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<b>[quote]
Are the lower arm balljoints the ones present on the points of the 'v' shaped lower suspension struts, connecting to the swivel hub?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></b>
Yes, that's them. I'd tend to remove the trackrod end's on each side to also check if the hubs are able to turn OK by itself. By doing this you may find that one side is siezed.
Also, do check on the UJ's on the steering column as this can be an area to seize up. My fathers old frontera used to have a problem where it would violently wander on a camber. Turned out to be a UJ on the column which would "jump" to overcome the sieze. http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec ... e74c2f9f3b
Have a look at this thread for more ideas http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec ... 378a4f11c3
Cheers,
Mark
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks for the links, very interesting. So this universal joint is on the end of the steering column, under the shroud where it comes through the bulkhead and meets up with the steering arms?
If that's the right place, I can pull the rubber shroud off and see what's beneath it...
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JamesQB</i>

Thanks for the links, very interesting. So this universal joint is on the end of the steering column, under the shroud where it comes through the bulkhead and meets up with the steering arms?
If that's the right place, I can pull the rubber shroud off and see what's beneath it...
Hi James,
I know nothing of the Clio. I would expect that there would be at least one UJ where the column connects to the steering rack and perhaps a second if you have a tiltable steering wheel.
The UJ would look similar to those bendy things in a socket set to enable a slight tilt between wrench and socket.
Cheers,
Mark
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

I forgot to say: if I jack the entire front of the car up so wheels are off the ground, the steering wheel flies from lock to lock using just my little finger.
Does that rule out the UJ and/or rack & pinion problems?
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

I forgot to say: if I jack the entire front of the car up so wheels are off the ground, the steering wheel flies from lock to lock using just my little finger.
Does that rule out the UJ and/or rack & pinion problems?
I guess that this does rule out the column UJ's as the relationship between them and the steering rack would not alter.
With the wheels jacked up, put hands in 12 and 6 o'clock positions and rock the wheel in and out. There should be no play on either wheel.
With one wheel on the ground, try turning the wheel lock to lock. Then try the same with the other wheel. If one is more noticibly stiff than the other this may help with the diagnosis.
Whereabouts do you live? Perhaps someone is close enough to try and give a hand?
Cheers,
Mark
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks for the info, when it's cooler I will try that and see what the results are.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Whereabouts do you live? Perhaps someone is close enough to try and give a hand?
[:D] Residing in sunny Spain - wife and I got tired of the overcast life and came here, where I previously lived for 10 years since coming over at age 12. So... may require some travelling!
The car is annoying me. Steering is actually better since tracking was done, maybe I'm being too fussy, I don't know anymore since driving PAS cars, but it certainly isn't centralising itself properly.
Then there are other problems:
1. gear changes getting more difficult, 2nd is worst and feels like the stick is just being banged into a brick wall at times.
2. Power isn't quite upto scratch, on motorways it's terrible, get to a certain speed and it takes forever to go faster (like 60mph) especially if road inclined up. Car stutters when accelerating, like pressing the pedal makes the revs drop slightly and then after a hesitation it starts revving, if that makes sense, although this all happens very quickly. Continues through whole pedal travel when accelerating. Oh, and when coming to a stop, the engine momentarily surges a bit, so if you aren't quick to press the brake pedal harder, or have removed your foot to coast a bit before braking to a stop, it can be quite alarming! I know the idle speed stepper motor (recent new one - no change) is responsible for poking its solenoid out and surging the engine when this happens, I just don't know why it's being told to do that...
3. I am tired of taking things on this car to bits, especially now starter motor has yet again started it's rare and random but very annoying soft clicking when the key is turned. Has only done it once this week after scores of starts, but when will it happen next...
[:(][:(][:(]
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Then there are other problems:
1. gear changes getting more difficult, 2nd is worst and feels like the stick is just being banged into a brick wall at times.
2. Power isn't quite upto scratch, on motorways it's terrible, get to a certain speed and it takes forever to go faster (like 60mph) especially if road inclined up. Car stutters when accelerating, like pressing the pedal makes the revs drop slightly and then after a hesitation it starts revving, if that makes sense, although this all happens very quickly. Continues through whole pedal travel when accelerating. Oh, and when coming to a stop, the engine momentarily surges a bit, so if you aren't quick to press the brake pedal harder, or have removed your foot to coast a bit before braking to a stop, it can be quite alarming! I know the idle speed stepper motor (recent new one - no change) is responsible for poking its solenoid out and surging the engine when this happens, I just don't know why it's being told to do that...
3. I am tired of taking things on this car to bits, especially now starter motor has yet again started it's rare and random but very annoying soft clicking when the key is turned. Has only done it once this week after scores of starts, but when will it happen next...
Yes, a little too far for me [:(]
1) Sounds like baulking. Check and change the gearbox oil (I think this has been suggested already) and check adjustment of the clutch cable.
2) The car's not running too rich is it? Does it have an ECU - if so, try and get hold of a reader as this will help identify any potential problems. What's the idle revs like? If high, check out the resistance of the coolant temperature sender (not the same as the one to the dash), hot and cold, because if IT thinks that the engine temperature is cold, the ECU will richen the mixture.
Not trying to get rid of you [:D], but it may be worth posting on http://forum.parkers.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17192.
Cheers,
Mark