xantia front struts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tanto
My Cars:

xantia front struts

Post by tanto »

what type of grease should i use on the front struts of my xantia as they sometimes groan when lowering and how easy is it to grease the struts
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

try lubb metherd talked about on this site,remove rubber leg return pipe from car body end,put it into cotainer of LHMwork susp up and down a few times sounds like it works regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Malcolm,
There were some posts on by somebody saying that you could lube the Xantia struts using the breather, but by the end of the post everybody including the original poster seemed to be convinced that it wouldn't work. The confusion got worse when people said it worked on the BX, the Xantia struts are sufficiently different to stop this working.
Somebody should go and find out definitavly.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

perhaps tanto could be the guinepig regards malcolm
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Malcolm,
There were some posts on by somebody saying that you could lube the Xantia struts using the breather, but by the end of the post everybody including the original poster seemed to be convinced that it wouldn't work. The confusion got worse when people said it worked on the BX, the Xantia struts are sufficiently different to stop this working.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't think this will work on the Xantia struts, having looked at them. Also I have serious doubts about lubricating with LHM having any lasting effects - LHM is not a lubricating oil and has very minimal lubricating properties compared to grease. It may work for a few days/weeks, but not much longer.
The way I did it was using Lithium L2 grease on the actual strut, and so far the creaking/groaning on my Dad's Xantia struts has dissapeared, although it's only been about a month so far. Also ride has improved, and the car lifts in one smooth movement instead of small jerks.
I wrote a pretty detailed explanation in this thread:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... hichpage=1
Regards,
Simon
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

thanks for the input guys will take a look at the struts when i have more time think i will stick to the idea of using grease