Citroen AX 1996

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David Humphrey

Citroen AX 1996

Post by David Humphrey »

My daughter wrote her car off today and an AX has come up as a replacement.I drive a peugeot so feel happy with the idea but have been put off by people saying they are not very crashworthy.I would appreciate any advice please.
David
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

all cars are crash worthy if you feel unsafe then use a bus/train/plain but they also are crash worthy and tested the same as cars "but the driver/operator/pilot is the question" plaines/trains and busses take many lives in one go, fact is cars experience and use/time can only provide that so take a dep breath and relax because what will be will be done, a death is the same for all but multiple deaths are a different story like on aircraft but we still fly.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

I personaly dont like small/town cars, mine has a large bommet and boot and thats how I like it also a tow bar never used.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Horrible, horrible little things. Not very crashworthy is an understatement. Made of eggboxes would be a good description.
Try a ZX or 306 and you might have some chance in a smash. Well, your odds will be better than in an AX anyway...
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

I drive BMW 1989 520i se and have had it from new "lots of bonnet and boot plus the tow bar brain dead on power but does 155 mph if you have the time and road space tested on the autobahn and could do better" never towed anything yet apart from cars.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

are the tests getting better and the answer is no.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

And what's this got to do with AXs?[:0]
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

ax is a good Towny car but that's it like many other small cars, the pictures depict that
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Saxo has a NCAP rating of 2
AX has not been tested, but I imagine it would be worse not better.
Best advice - drive carefully and dont have a crash - Richard, I understand your comments on a towbar & bonnet, but these make bog all difference in a 30mph + crash.
Your beemer has an NCAP of 3 - better but no cigar.
Drive what you like, but drive it carefully, defensivly and avoid having a crash!
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

good job I dont smoke then is it, so it has to higher and the car is very heavy which is why I like it, my favorite car is the xm and I would swap my BMW for a good one any day.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

and im being serious.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

I withdrew some statements there because to be honest the ax doesnt look like its been in an accident more like its been stripped for spares.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

the AX is a brilliant example of how to make a really efficient small car - make it light!
However lightweight cars don't fare well in a crash. I'm almost certain that this problem is why the line wasn't pursued and why the saxo was introduced and also why its a badge engineered 106 (needed in a hurry - no time to make 2!)
ZX is a heavy little beast - (weighs same or more than equivalent BX) and has side intrusion bars in the doors, late ones have airbags. the newer car you buy the better the crash protection - multiple bags etc)
jeremy