emails

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

I agree oilyspanner the lads here seem much more sensible because they have nicer cars than them things you mention va v va I cant bring myself to say the word haha I did get some stick of some of them sites when I tried to help them a long time ago it seems they have something against the Citroen which I personally think is a wonderful car maker like the C4 very up to date car and very nice looking but as for the emails I have put it to sleep because the chances are im getting paranoid over a simple thing that's quite common these days, you always get them I suppose we just have to humor them till they go away.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

mind you I did have the BX back then probably that's why, they just could not get their heads round the fact the BX is a much better car than a va v vvx thing nothing against them but very boring cars I think and they all look the same even when they mod them they copy each other, Citroen on the other hand do things with a flair and better at it and the makers do a good job on style without the modding sort of daring and people love it, they stand up to our requests and fearless they are.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've thought generally that there is a good lot of people on this site, and the moderators don't put up with anyone or anything that shoudln't be here i.e. they do a good job. Its reasonably friendly and the advice is generally good, all in all I think I'm better of for this place existing.
Citroens aren't for everybody, they suit me and I appreciate their strong points (the biggest of which seems to be the low running costs and good comfort).
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Every car fanatic thinks their car is the best!!! I like my BX, but its not to my neighbours taste, who thinks that his Vectra is Gods gift to motors, I have another mate who likes the BX's brakes but still thinks his Scirocco is the conkers.......I don't think you would get abuse from other car fans, only pub type banter, really!!
I hurl endless good humoured abuse at a friend with a Ford Probe (probably the worst assemble car I have ever seen....after the TVR he had before it), but it would never descend to hateful abuse, they are only cars, after all!!!
I really don't think that Vauxhall owners or CCC members would be sending out negative vibes......after all, the Vauxhall owners wouldn't have the brains and the CCC members would consider themselves far too superior to deign to do it....
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

the ride quality of the BX is superior to anything I have ever driven but like any other car it has its flaws but still better than a vectra even then I would not slag them, I deleted the emails which I wish I had not now I really dont know who it was to be truthful, the last thing I want to do is point fingers or cause any bother as this would make me as bad as them so a worthless gesture, to each their own I guess I dont know many on sites with vectras Ive never really been interested in them im normally on classic car sites because that's where my main interest is, I have a mate who owns an MG restoration garage and spend many a night shift helping him out now that's a worthy hobbie like model aircraft.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

That's a shame Richard. (Original post) I don't know what drives these idiots. You'd think they'd have something better to do than to slag people off because of their opinions. But people do get touchy over their cars.
My brother in law buys nothing else but Fords. To be honest I can't stand the things. When he bought his last one, a newish Esquirt Turbo Diesel he started moaning at me before I'd even opened my mouth! Nothing wrong with it, it was a nice car but just not for me. But because I'm not very keen on them he started getting personal! Each to their own I say, I'm not going to lose any sleep over what the bloke next door drives.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I am. He's fitted a loud exhaust and 5KW of stereo:-)
AdrianCCC
My Cars:

Post by AdrianCCC »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Yes, I have been receiving a lot of spam. I suspect but cannot prove that it emanates from the Citroen car Club.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It doesn't.
If you suspect it is, then PLEASE pass it to me with full headers - [url="mailto:webmaster@citroencarclub.org.uk"]webmaster (at) citroencarclub.org.uk[/url] (I should add that this is the ONLY official Citroen Car Club domain name - other domain names that look similar are not the CCC)
There have been some "joe-job" spams using the CCC domain name, but they're fairly obviously not from the CCC.
Tom - I suspect, however, that you mean that you think we've put your names onto some virus list. I know you've had your differences with the club, but PLEASE trust me on this - we are not that petty and childish.
Most spam comes from infections - either you or other people who have email from you in their address book or in their mail client - especially Outlook/OE. There's only one defence - protection. Personally, I use the K9 spamfilter from www.keir.net - it's about the best I've come across. Add in Kerio software firewall, Spybot S&D anti-spyware and AVG anti-virus, and you're well protected without spending a penny.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Perhaps, going back to the original post you might have contacted me, as the Forum Admin if you suspected that we were involved? You say that you received abusive emails about Citroen? This is all very odd.I've been running the forum for over 4 years and never had an email abusing me about my choice of car. I'd like to see that email.
Adrian from CCC, well put and kept cool.
This topic is now being locked. Involved parties can email me off forum if required. I'm fed up with these topics. Don't be surprised to find the Forum itself locked one day if this is indicative of the way things are going.
Jon

Post by Jon »

OK Everyone. "Richard Green" was banned from the forums early this morning. If "Mr Green" is reading this (I did try contacting him via the Hotmail address in his membership details, that bounced), then please note as follows.
1) "Mr G" alleges that someone from this forum sent him a vile video of someone having their head cut off. We <i>believe</i> this to be a sick video of Kenneth Biggley being beheaded in Iraq. It seems, sickenently, that this film is freely available on the Internet.
2) As Forum Admin, I can tell you all now that the only person that has details as to member's email addresses on this Forum is me. And, I have never ever disclosed any email addresses to anyone.
3) As a Forum member, you may contact another member by using our Forum email system. You go into the Member's profile, and click the link "Click here to send email". An email (text only, no attachments) is then sent to the other member. At no point in this process does the Forum software allow you to know the other members Email address, only their Forum username.
4)In view of point 3) above it is virtually impossible that anyone sent a video attachment of someone having their head chopped off as a result of this Forum.
5)"Mr Green" sent me an email earlier this week alleging that Forum members sent him anti Citroen emails, then the alleged beheading film. Again in view of Point 3, I regard this as 99.99% impossible. I also checked my Webserver, which keeps a record of all emails on the Andyspares and Gsfcarparts.com domains, and there was no trace of any such mails passing through my server.
6) "Mr Green" then launched into a racist tirade early this morning with the title "I hate Islam". His signature was "I hate all Islamics" to this post.
7) In the interests of public decency, his posts were deleted. A note of his IP address was made, and the entire topic was screen dumped and saved. The thread was then deleted, in case a charge of incitement of racial hatred was made.
8) I tried to email him for an explaination, but the email address bounced as he had changed it in his profile (see below ***)
9) His Membership of the Forum was revoked.
10) He then made a series of posts on the G&S Forum, which made a number of threats against me. Again, saved to disc then deleted, membership locked, and banned.
11) Report of abuse made to ISP> NTL with IP 62.254.64.14.
*** As result of ex-member changing email address in profile, I have now altered the Forum so that if that if any member's email address is changed, the forum will send an email to new address (which must be of course genuine). If email not received, and / or link not clicked , account will not be re-activated.
Furthermore, and although it may extremely frustrating for any new members wishing to join, your membership will not be valid until I approve it, and I send an email back with a link to click to confirm membership. This system enables me to vet all new members, and record their details before allowing Membership.
I am sorry to have to take this course of action.[:(]
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Sad day Jon. Let's hope things stay clean! It doesn't take much for you to get spam. I made the mistake of publishing my email address on a website advertising my car for sale.
I'd also like to point out that I am an entirely different and altogether more friendly Mr Green in no way related to the recently deleted.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I keep getting spam which NAV recognises and I delete. Soemthing to do wth Citroen in the address. I suspect the Citroen Car Club site may have been invaded or its address list hijacked.
With NAV and Microsoft Anti Spyware (beta release) and Spyware and AdAware I feel reasonably well protected:-)
Well done about your actions today.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Flippin' heck! I noticed he had been banned earlier. Didnt expect it to be something like that though, his other posts I had seen seemed quite friendly and non-offensive. It seems the trolls (if that is what RichardGreen was) are changing tactics, going for the softly softly approach first. Thats how thunderbird went- he was alright then one day he seemed to haveflipped his lid!
I get so much spam these days its unbelievable - none citroen related, all "v1agra & p3ni$ en1argers" that sort of rubbish so its hard to filter it out [:(] .
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I use a very good, very free wanadoo / fsmail account and it filters spam brilliantly. As its also not my main email I have never had any hessitation publishing it.
Bit of a bugger that, logging on this morning and finding all that - anyway as the big man says lets move on and if anyone does get anything they are offended by, which is eminating from here forward it to the admin / moderating team. If anyone else posts anything offensive - it may brass you off, but please dont rise to the bait and post arguments - it merely encourages some people, again just report it and then ignor it. Thanks.
Share and Enjoy! (Cirius Cybernetcis Corporation)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Looking forwards, what can we do to protect the forum and keep it nice?
Obviously the admins and moderators can't be on here all of the time but if the general members had some sort of mechanism for "flagging" a post or a thread as requiring the moderator's eye perhaps things could be sorted out more quickly than they currently are, without too much administrative overhead. Is that sort of thing possible within the forum framework?