Xantia 1.9TD R.I.P - Carless Again!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I think the fact that the engine stopped on its own is bad sign, suggesting either it had seized, or suddenly lost compression. Alternatively it may just have burnt off enough of the excess oil to return to normal, but its slightly academic now!
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Hard lines Chris, but I enjoyed that. A right riveting read!
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

I doubt if it was overfilled! Sounds lke a runaway.
Once on holiday in Devon with my Old BX TGD (lovely car) I was near a lovely beach when I was a vicar staring into the open bonnet of another BX Turbo D.
He explained after I enquired that he had left "checking the car " details to his wife. She said "its taking a lot of oil" He said "OK".
Anyway they got from Bitmingham to Devon (200 miles) and felt the car was -well a bit sluggish.
Finally it would not start by the beach after a stop for a break. His wife then said could it be to do with the about 4 litres of engine oil into the engine!
Fortunately I had asump key with me, and drained off about 3.5 litres of excess oil.
It certainly did not run on - even though it was grossly overfilled!
PaulB
patneenan
My Cars:

Post by patneenan »

Reminds me once of an incident with an old Honda 50 cub.
I fell off it (on the rough) and the throttle stuck open.
It revved its b***s off till it ran out of fuel .
It just emptied the float chamber then cut out , but it revved away on FULL blast for about 10 mins.
I was about 14 at the time and was too sacred to approach it, in case it blew up.
Of course it didn't , those engines are bomb proof!!!
Just stood it up right, waited for the carb to refill ,and away
Nothing at all happened!!
poppy
My Cars:

Post by poppy »

55000 i have a very nice 1996 P reg TD 130k new tyres , glowplugs , spheres ,brakes, clean and shiny metallic green [im an old croak, and have had it 3 yrs] got to pick up my 1.8i sx on weds 29th at studley ..... want a look? its a genuine family car im giving it away for 795ovno coz im in love with me new un already.... email njj0905@yahoo.co.uk if anyone interested. xxxxxnorm/liz