BX bandit !!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A good plunderer would be able to get loads of stuff off it!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm not plundering anything until the green council sticker goes on the windscreen..................but, yes, the back bumper is good, (but no good to me..) as are the roof bars, which are, again, no good to me......
Its in Moorfield, Harlow[}:)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Absolutely. The owner may or may not be a pillock (But he does drive a BX and is the Owner,) and Honesty is a rare and virtuous thing to have these days, for which I applaud you.
Please save the bumper though if it may be done legally!
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

In my younger days I ran some pretty frightful old wrecks (1930 Morris Minor which the wife reupholstered with a blanket, 1934 Austin 10 which reputedly had cable brakes - taught you to read road conditions well ahead, 1837 Hudson Terraplane, etc.) anything to keep mobile with virtually no money, so I have a certain sympathy for the owner. After all, it was taxed and therefore presumably insured and MOT'd so he was doing his best. I never had any of those substance things in my cars though, what are they?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Think he probably means either "gear" or "weed" - though the likely hood of being locked up these days for a bit of blow is remote (unless there was a lot of it) - so I assume its gear, though could be "stone" I suppose.
Confused? You will be!
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Oh I see, gear, I was wrong - I had three of them in my early cars! Incidentally my Terraplane was a 1937 model, not 1837.
Seriously though, I'm a bit upset about so many people hovering about like vultures. Give the chap a break, its probably all he can afford, especially if he has to meet the costs of these substances as well!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

At least its insured (well its taxed so assume its got insurance) More than most of my "patients" who drive bother with.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">More than most of my "patients" who drive bother with.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or my "customers" for that matter!!!
I look at it this way- yes, it most likely is abandoned- if he wanted it back it would be gone by now, and both rear arms are shot, and if you can't d.i.y. thats going to cost a lot more than the car's worth.

BUT-my tax runs out at the end of june as does the crooks car- my car may be a bit cleaner and have vertical back wheels, but I just left it sitting there for 3 weeks while I was on holiday. Yes, the neighbours know its mine, but would a passing looter start eying it up because it hasn't moved for a couple of weeks, the tax is short.......do unto others, etc.....
Its a good job they aren't popular as a cheap motor any more!!!
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Quote "if he wanted it back it would be gone by now"
But if he's been banged up by Old Bill he wouldn't be able to move it.
ninebob

Post by ninebob »

Sorry if this is a "hijack" of this topic...
I have a similar issue, I have a private parking space outside our block which is allocated to my flat. Two months ago an L reg XR2i appeared in my space, I wasn't too bothered at the time as I'm unfortunately banned and therefore no longer have a car (God how I miss my Xantia). However, the damn ford is still there so I'm guessing it's abandoned - the tax ran out last month too.
Can anyone point me at some advice regarding what was mentioned in this topic earlier, namely what would I have to do to send off for the logbook in my name? If I could just do that then at best I could perhaps get £50 for it on eBay, or at worst I could get the local scrappy to remove it which would only cost me £15.....
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

if its your parking space then you can legally clamp it and charge what you want for the removal "they do it in London" all the time, why not get in touch with the DVLA and claim the car for your self or trace the owner and ask for the car, if he refuses clamp it or clamp it beforehand he will have to pay you then.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Time for an update- the woman who was in the car when they both got arrested must have been bailed, because she reappeared the other night with another bloke, pulled the window frame out, opened it up and got her personal stuff out and left......BX's are ridiculously easy to open without a key.....I have now fitted a cheapo sparkrite alarm to mine, it does the job...
The tax has expired, there is aparently no traceable owner, so the council finally put a 7 day notice on it. Its now fair game so I have so far had the blower motor assembly, the alternator, the HP pump, the wiper motor and arms, the headlights, which were better than mine, the indicators ( one of which is an aftermarket item made in Taiwan of all places..) the proper official Citroen rear window blinds ( better than my Halfords ones!! ), a pair of mirrors, and other odds and sods of switches and trim to replace the broken bits on mine.
There isn't a lot more of use on it as its a petrol estate as opposed to my diesel hatch, and its in an appaling state, but at least I've saved some bits from the crusher- I must try and get the calipers before the end of the week when its time is up!!!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

You watch the council contractors take yours away now !
Be careful, you may be able to be done for theft still, as the car now probably belongs ( by default ) to the council or the contractor.
And it's not as if your BX is hidden away in a garrage, is is ?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Hopefully mine will be in the office car park when they come- if not I'll temporarily chuck the wifes motor out of the lockup and put mine in!!!