405 Estate carburettor version

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

r69bp

Post by r69bp »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by demag</i>

If the dash lights are fading it might well be an earth problem.
Firstly DON'T spend any more money on parts, I don't think that is the answer.
Check the battery connections and if necessary clean and tighten them. Get a jump lead or thick piece of wire, connect one end firmly to the engine and the other end firmly to the earth connection on the battery.
Now try it. Anything different? Or the same?
Does the engine turn over quite well or does it struggle?
Is the spark at the plug a nice bright blue spark or a yellowy colour? Blue/pink is good. Are all 4 plugs/leads sparking? Check em one at a time.
Can you smell petrol, are the plugs wet?
You said it starts to run and stops. Is that still the case?
Post back and let us know.
Good luck.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Demag I shall try these by the Weekend but I can tell you all cylinders have a healthy spark as they were tested with a plug diode set,there is plenty of feul going into the carburettor btu I have not checked the plugs for wetness since the carburettor change last saturday.
on the first attempt the car starts and runs for a few seconnds but sounds very rough( Like a subaru),then it just cranks like an immoboliser and that is your lot no further action will happen except a flat battery.
However I will try the earthing issue and see what happens.
Thanx no doubt I will be speaking to you again!!!LOL.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Where abouts in the world are you r69bp?
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

You say it runs for a few seconds but sounds rough. I'm wondering if you have some leads crossed. You might have one or two leads right and the rest wrong. Have you marked the leads? Put some insulation tape on them and mark them from 1 to 4 as they are now in their present positions. Now if you change the positions you can always get back to the original setting.
Next time you try it swap a couple of leads first, say 2 and 3. Same, different? Does it still start for a couple of seconds or not? What we have to do is try and get it to stay running even if its as rough as a dog. If its still the same, put those leads back and try another pair bearing in mind it should be 1342. Sometimes people look at the leads backwards thinking they are right when in fact they are set up as 1243. See what I mean? Back to front. So 1 and 4 are right but 3 and 2 reversed.
Another possibility is the timing could be way retarded or way advanced. When the ignition timing is really retarded you normally have to crank the thing on the starter and spin it up to get it to run.
If the timing is way advanced it will be trying to kick back on the starter as you turn the key but might fire for a few seconds then stop. Make sure you have the dizzy body marked in the present position so you can reset to this position. Try turning the dizzy about 1/8 of an inch at a time and try it. Go up to about 1/2 inch in one direction. If still no good go back to the start point and turn it the other way up to about 1/2 inch.
Let us know how you do.
r69bp

Post by r69bp »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by demag</i>

You say it runs for a few seconds but sounds rough. I'm wondering if you have some leads crossed. You might have one or two leads right and the rest wrong. Have you marked the leads? Put some insulation tape on them and mark them from 1 to 4 as they are now in their present positions. Now if you change the positions you can always get back to the original setting.
Next time you try it swap a couple of leads first, say 2 and 3. Same, different? Does it still start for a couple of seconds or not? What we have to do is try and get it to stay running even if its as rough as a dog. If its still the same, put those leads back and try another pair bearing in mind it should be 1342. Sometimes people look at the leads backwards thinking they are right when in fact they are set up as 1243. See what I mean? Back to front. So 1 and 4 are right but 3 and 2 reversed.
Another possibility is the timing could be way retarded or way advanced. When the ignition timing is really retarded you normally have to crank the thing on the starter and spin it up to get it to run.
If the timing is way advanced it will be trying to kick back on the starter as you turn the key but might fire for a few seconds then stop. Make sure you have the dizzy body marked in the present position so you can reset to this position. Try turning the dizzy about 1/8 of an inch at a time and try it. Go up to about 1/2 inch in one direction. If still no good go back to the start point and turn it the other way up to about 1/2 inch.
Let us know how you do.
Hi Demag bad news since the carb change the spark plugs seem to be getting alot of water on them but i cannot see where from?,this so called friend has made the car even worse,what the heck do i do know?
the firing order was set up as 1342,all the leads have original marks on them as whether it is piston 1234 and so forth.
could they still be wrong?,I cannot afford any more mechanics fees or parts I honestly believe that this has got camshaft timing wrong,I am not brilliant at in depth mechanics so please be patient with me. hope to hear from you soon.
r69bp

Post by r69bp »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkwheel</i>

Where abouts in the world are you r69bp?
I am in Surrey where are you?
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

northants im afraid,
might be wort seeing if anyone on the forum from around surrey area could possibly drop in and see you and the car.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

You've got me now r69bp. Are you positive its water? Is the cooling system losing any water? There's no water got in with the fuel is there?
You say this is a new engine. Did you buy it built, or did someone build it for you? Do you know its history? Is there water on all the plugs? I would say if there is water on the plugs, its either in the fuel or the head gasket is not right.
Have you dipped the oil, is there any trace of water there? I'm running out of options now.
What about getting a length of tube from the fuel pump straight into a gallon can of petrol? At least you will know its fresh petrol you're using. But you'll have to clean the carb first though. Clean the plugs then try starting it. In the past when I've been a bit desperate I've poured an eggcup full of petrol straight into the carb mouth and tried it. If it starts its very likely you have got water in the tank and it will have to be drained.
r69bp

Post by r69bp »

Hi Demag I was told that this engine came out of a running car,but I could not see any obvious problems the colour of the oil,plugs were a healty grey colour.
I will check the petrol issue later today but in answer to your question ALL of the spark plugs have got water on them,I shall check the oil incase the heat gasket has blown during our futile attempts in getting this blasted thing running but I do not know if this is a problem but my original engine was a B2A,but this new engine code is D2H?.
Hope to hear from you soon
Kind regards,
Bobby
r69bp

Post by r69bp »

Hi guys guess what we have found the problem and it is a dodgy flippin valve on piston four which is not working properly and is spitting the fuel back out through the carb.
So now my useless efforts begin with the guy who supplied this "So called running engine", don't fancy my chances does any1?
But A word of caution to people as I have just learnt never buy an engine without hearing and certainly not on any1's word as it means rubbish.After spending all this money on this part then that,it turns out to be this.I could kill that gitas I have not got the foggist how to lap in a new valve and set the piston shim.Don't suppose any1 would be interested in buying it for a reasonable sum.