noisy xantia 1.9 td aux belt and pullys update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys update
Well the guy who was going to change the tensioner has let me down miserably today so now the my car is at my local garage waiting for the new tensioner to be put on hopefully should have my car back tommorrow, by the way ive fitted new front sphere,s today now my car feels much better.
pete.......................
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

im impressed with the picures and efforts from members I could cry.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi richard and guys
Thanks for your reply and all the other guys help on this but normally id do the job myself but this time i found it so awkward to do and the position of the spring to tensioner plate bottom bolt look at the 2nd diagram (its tucked right by the oil filter cooler and water pipe) i could,nt even get a pair of pliers to the spring clip to get the pipe off also there,s no way you can remove the tensioner spring top bolt and the main pully plate bolt to get the tensioner out becouse there is not enough room between the body of the car to manovere it out in one piece so it has to be split also the spring fits inside the main pully bracket which makes it more awkard my car has been off the road a week or more now becouse of all this problem so in the end ive had to let the garage do it. alltogether not a very easy job for me anyway with hardly no space to work in. well thanks guys agian for all the help ive had here everthings been well apprecated.
pete..............................
exect

Post by exect »

Hi All,
Does anyone know if its possible to drop the engine enough on the drivebelt side, to enable the replacement of the top auto belt tensioner? Its part 9 in the above diagrams. To me it looks like it would probably be less of a problem to do this than remove the hydraulic pump and alternator.
Regards
Exect
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi exect
Having a look at the 1st diagram which i think you mean is yours it looks a lot easier then mine. there should be enough room there to remove the bolts if you drop the engine (the prob with mine if you read my post and look at the 2nd diagram is where the bottom tensioner to spring bolt is). Getting the main single plate bolt out was easy, so really you should have no problems with yours. do you know how to drop the engine down if not get back to me. my cars still at the garage with this problem hopefully get it back tommorrow. incidentally went to my local scrappy recently and there,s an r reg xantia there with the same problem as mine with the same setup on the heap and thats the reason it was scrapped (what a shame![:(]) so you see its not an easy job on mine but you should have no problem the other awkward job is getting the aux belt back on. anyway let me know how you get on.
pete...................................
exect

Post by exect »

Hi Pete,
I have actually had the tensioner in my hand but could not get it through the gap, and as I had not removed the pump and alternator, I had to give up and reassemble it. I have never dropped the engine and wondered how far it can drop on one side without causing damage to the exaust etc. It not a five minuite job!
Thanks for your reply Pete,
Regards
Exect
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi exect
Don,t worry you won,t cause any damage the engine will only drop as far as the subframe then come to rest, but you will need a trolly jack to let the engine down slowly. Jack up the car or set it on its highest suspension setting or what ever you prefer then just support the engine with the jack, do not put the wieght of the car on the engine sump. Then undo the bottom engine mounting its the round one at the bottom you can see through the wheel arch with the single bolt, undo and remove the nut & bolt then working inside the engine compartment undo the three engine mounting nuts these are just at the top right hand side just above the cambelt cover. Now with the engine resting on the jack slowly let the engine down with the trolley jack until it comes to rest and thats it. You should be able to see the tensioner and it,ll give you enough room to remove it when you set the engine back up again just jack it back up slowly and watch the top mounting you can move the top of the mounting around to help realign the studs replace the three nuts then let engine down more do this slowly then realign the bottom bolt hole replace to the bolt job done. all this sounds more complecated than it actully is, just remember do it all slowly.
hope this helps
pete......................................
exect

Post by exect »

Thanks for that Pete, you have been very helpful.
I will give it a try as soon as I have some time.
Regards
Exect
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi exec
Your very welcome let me know how you get on
pete.........................
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

HI GUYS
Well im conteplating having another go at this as the garage did,nt do a very good job it was a non cit garage) they simply replaced the pully and not the complete tensioner and its still making a row so ive had a futher look at it and i feel sure if i removed the water hose that goes to the oil filter housing i can get the allen key (i have the type of allen keys that fit onto a small rachet) to the bottom tensioner bolt to undo it saves all that stripping down ive booked it in at a place in brum that specilises in cits to have this replaced but if i can do the job myself using this method then maybe i can save myself a lot of money
so what do you guys think of this method
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys
i changed my mind and took my car to french car spare,s yesterday in brum and they fitted it all for me pulley and bracket the lot a very good job he made of it to id recomend them anytime they have a website to its www.frenchcarspares.com