Xantia Rusty Strut Tops

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

chick chick chick chick chicken your no fun regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

chick chick chick chick chicken your no fun regards malcolm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Me chicken? The person who has rebuilt a Lucas CAV injection pump in a draughty asbestos garage on a dark winters night by the light of a Tilley lamp, replaced a water pump in a blizzard and changed a 205 GTi starter motor without removing the inlet manifold...[:D][:D][:D]
Strut tops should be a walk in the park against all that lot and with your good words of advice on the subject Malcolm. A pal has made me a patent sphere removal tool. If that works as well as it looks I'll post up some piccies of it.....
No, it's a simple case of a very busy family man finding enough contiguous time to do the job [:)] Firstly though, in case it goes a bit pear-shaped for any reason I have to do a quick job on the 205 first. The Master Cylinder needs replacing. I thought the brakes felt bad because I had gotten too used to the Xantia brakes but no, they really were bad to the extent of being almost non existent as I found out when a 106 came to a sudden stop in front of me last week. Good job the handbrake worked!!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jim i ment your a chicken for doing them before they pop up to say hello,on the suject of sphere removeing tools i have a 30cm stanly pipe rench i put a 2' tube on usuly removes most stubern spheres,and if that dont work i get out my proper old fastioned genuine citroen tool which is a large sping steel circle with a pinch bolt to clamp it to sphere and the handle is made out of 3/4inch square steel bar,just fit it to sphere and give it a clout with club hammer regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

jim i ment your a chicken for doing them before they pop up to say hello<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[:D][:D][:D]Ahh now I see !! in that case I'm a first class chicken! [;)][;)] Cluck Cluck...
I really ought to have had the username "paranoid" but that's already taken [:)] I'm the sort who changes cambelts every 20,000 just to be on the safe side and hates changing cars because it takes me months and months for any trust to develop between me and the new car.. Trust usually comes after replacing loads of stuff and spending lots of money, maybe needlessly. I'll wager my strut tops are actually OK but it's that old trust thing again... [;)]
Love the sound of your sphere removal tools. Mine is a bar with a loop of very heavy webbing from an Artic truck. It was lovingly crafted by a pal at work as a surprise for me after we had a log conversation about Citroen Sphere removal. I've not tried it yet but when I do, and it proves good I'll show it off...
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Paranoid!!! I'm afraid to drive the car!!
This topic has done nothing but drive fear into the hearts of all, older Mk1 Xantia owners![V]
Why not tell me about that Xantia steering wheel that has a habit of shearing off, or the gearbox mount that collapses jamming the gearbox and rolling the car!![:o)]
I'm now in fear that I'll give my dad his replacement car only for the strut tops to give out, re-arranging the bonnet and sending him shooting off a windy mountain road!![xx(]
C'mon how about a percentage of chance this might effect older Xantias....10%, 50% or 80%. Or maybe 1%.
Does the area of country make a difference to the corrosion? More coastal based Xantias being prone to a little more salty sea air, etc.
Seriously now, if it's going to effect a car what age is it likely to be, miles covered, etc?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Take no notice of me Gareth, That's how I am, ask my missus!!!
I see a lot of Xantias running around and I personally have NEVER seen one by the side of the road with a tell-tale triangular bonnet or for that matter suffering any other serious malfunction. They all seem to be just doing what Xantias do - floating along serenely.
Now, I HAVE seen lots of Moggy Minors amd Marinas and other quite modern cars with collapsed front suspensions around.
I think, and I will stand corrected, that if it were a dreadfully serious problem we'd all know well about it. Watchdog, Top Gear, MOT failures, Citroen doing recalls etc but no.
Dagenham Dustbins of old were notorious for rusting their top strut plates on the inner wing and I cannot recall seening any of them with struts up through the bonnet despite seeing some truely shockingly rusted inner wings on these cars.
So, I think the worry is a bit needless in all honesty. Be vigilant but worry not and as I say, ignore me!
Be interesting to hear the thoughts of the real Gurus on this forum though..
So whats all this about steering wheels shearing off and gearboxes collapsing then? (tongue firmly in cheek!)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

all car have there faults,i have worked on and around citroens for lot of years and this is the first one i have had to fix,beside all that i drove this one of the road into my workshop,it steered and manuered perfectly ,think of it this way fords and vauxhalls of this age need welding for the MOT every year,and rolls royce used cit/susp regards malcolm
pagh
My Cars:

Post by pagh »

I had mine done recently. The mounting in the left side was rusted through, and there was a space half-way round of a couple of centimetres. Luckily i noticed it before it rearranged my hood.
My car is a 1995 Xantia, and has been driven on Jutlands east coast here in Denmark, so shouldn`t really be because of salt-water. The guy who fixed it, is a Citroen expert, and he had seen it before on Xantia`s around same age as mine, so could be a common problem, just like heater matrixes.
It has 275000 Km on the clock.
I was wondering; There seems to be a kind of ring around where the struts rust thu`, and maybe water could gather there?
So you paranoid souls, keep an eye on your struts. :-)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive that its caused by rubber becoming perished then exposing metal to the elaments hense it rots away regards malcolm