Rear wiper system ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Rear wiper system ?

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi all,
This is a minor matter compared st some of the problems on this forum,but one which is new to me because the car is new to me(I've had it 3 months).The rear wiper system on my car doesn't seem to have a rear jet to direct water to the rear screen to help clean it.My right hand stalk on the steering column indicates that I have the function to use a rear jet but when I operate the rotating switch on said stalk nothing happens(no jet of water is sprayed).It seems to me that either the jet was once there and someone has removed it (there's no indication what so ever that it was originally there)or citroen purposely 'half fit' things to their vehicles and only 'fully fit' them if the model of car is destined for it.Is this so? Can someone clarify this for me.Also if the if my car is supposed to be fitted with the rear jet would it fail an m.o.t for not being present?
Thanks in advance for your replies [:)]
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

if you look in the rear wiper arm its there mine also doesnt work and I was thinking along the same lines but after a bit of prodding I found it but now to get it working?
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

approx 1/2 way along the rear wiper arm. if you look underneath you will see the plastic pipe etc this goes to a joint under the rear wiper trim through into the body and then????
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks born2die,I'll have a better look at the wiper in the morning.:)
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

when you select to use the washer jet on the stalk, do you hear a wirrr of a motor? if so, probably the jet nozzles are blocked (removed and cleaned mine out today, an now it gets the windscreen of the car driving behind me :P, will adjust that with a needle in 2 min's),
if you can;t hear a motor wirring when you select to use the washer jet, my best bet is to try and find the washer jet bottle to find the appropriate motor, on my zx it's inside the off-side wing, so entry through the wheel arch is i think the only way. (thats iff the motors are located with the bottles which they usualy are on most (could be all) cars.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

I looked at the rear wiper a short while ago and as 'born2die' said there was the jet on the wiper
arm and pipework.Selected the washer/jet on the stalk but nothing happened except wiper arm movement and the washer bottle motor whirring.As you say 'lighteninguk' I suspect a blockage in the
pipework or a detached pipe and wet internal tailgate.Shall investigate further tommorrow and hope to find a simple fix.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

only use a very fine prick to clean you jet because if you make the hole to big it wont work as it should,its best to disconect pipe if pos and blow dirt out of jet tube,if you dont remove pipe first you will just blast dirt back up where it came from the next time you use washers,also rear wash/wipe is not MOTable regards malcolm
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi citronut,
Where do I find a prick ?;) I dont mean to patronise.I managed to clear the end of the rear jet nozzle with a set of oxy/aceteleyne gas nozzle cleaners(made by BOC).Ideal tool for the job as they come in various sizes.Always keep them in my toolkit as they come in handy for such problems as have with this post.I'm suprised to read that the rear wash/wipe is not MOTable.
Thanks.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

he he he,fine one should be fine,i keep in my tool box very fine sping partly unwound,most people use something like a safty pin and open the holes up to much,then you dont get corect amount of weter out of each hole(BX washer jet sindrom,also dij know n/s rear fog lamp aint MOTable regards malcolm
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I usually find a standard dressmakers pin is perfect for clearing clogged washer nozzles, and usually leave one stabbed into the rubber surround on my windscreen so that it's always to hand. 3 MOT men have asked me what it is there for in the past, and I always let them guess. Only one has got it right so far!
The list of non-MOT-able items is longer than you might think. Reversing lamps are in that category too. Front fogs, Aux driving lamps, Rear wash-wipe.... the list goes on and on. My favourite is the spare wheel. It can be as bald as you like: the only test being that it is securely mounted.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you may have to take the jet out if you can and clean out an accumulation of crud to get it to work properly. I found this on our 94 Zx and was able to dig/poke it out with a pin and then flushed the pipe for a few seconds before re-assembling.
jeremy
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

I Think my pipe is blocked inside the car somewhere so it is a case of live with it or tear the car apart I think I will chose the former?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd be surprised if the pipe wasn't blocked at the end - somewhere near the wiper arm - where the water flow meets the first constriction. This is what I found on the ZX - basically the water had pushed all the crap into the jet itself and it could be dug out from behind.
Jeremy
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Had same prob on BX and Xantia. In both cases thin plastic coated garden wire (for tying plants to supports etc) cleared jets - it seems to be exactly right size - but blockage in rubber pipes I cleared by using footpump, with "lilo" pointed inflator attached to rubber pipe cleared them. Access rubber pipe ar various points under bonnet and in tailgate.
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

You may find the system is blocked anywhere along the length of the car, ny last Xantia a 1995 TD SX had the same problem and I was in the garage getting ready to buy a new washer assembly when a mechanic offered to check it out for me.
After about 25 mins of first blowing through pipe with air line and stripping various pieces of interior trim, front and rear, of the car he concluded the pump was working as water was coming from it but being blocked somwhwere inside the car.
The feed pipe on mine began its run iside the car up the inside of the trim on the drivers windscreen pillar if you want a starting point hopefull yours will be the same.