Sticky gear changing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petefa
My Cars:

Sticky gear changing

Post by petefa »

Hope you can help with this one.
Xantia 1.9tdi R reg 5 door.
Ok, new clutch 6 months a go.
Last week, went to go into reverse, no reverse[:(!].
Rubber in the small upper gear stick linkage had perished.
Fitted a new small upper and a new long gear stick linkage, as this broke, trying to remove it, to get to the smaller broken one[:(].
I didn't renew the lower small linkage.
That's 3 linkages total
I lubbed these and cleaned the rod balls, (because the old ones were dry, sorry for the terminology[:I]).
Now the gear changing is,"sticky?, notchy?"
I also "crunch the gears", quite often, when trying to change quickly.
Would it benifit to lub the rubber ball, that sits in the cluck arm?
Any help welcome[:D].
Thank you [:)]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Could it be that the clutch or clutch cable is badly adjusted / on its way which caused the linkage to fail? If so this would cause notchy and crunchy gear changes. I say this as my old ZX estate's clutch cable needed adjusting and I had a gear linkage go on me. Adjusted the clutch and repaired the linkage, and WD40'd the other linkages, and it was fine. Yours being a new clutch, may have "bedded in" and requires a little adjustment (ie not fully disengaging) or has been badly adjusted from the start.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with 'wilkobob' if the clutch is not disengaging properly it can make it almost impossible to get it in or out of gear and when you do, the 'drag' of the clutch is overcoming the synchromesh, hence the 'crunching'.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys
well this is another prob i have with my xant among others my gearchange is ok when the engine,s cold but when it,s hot i have the same problem can,t get it in or out of gear properly crunching in reverse somtimes when i pull up and try and get it out of gear with engine running also hard gear changing in heavy traffic so its either my clutch on the way out or just out of adjustment although the clutch peddle come,s about halfway up before it (bite,s)
pete............
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Your new clutch has probably done enough mileage to have settled down and now needs the adjuster moving up a bit.
Stewart