Optimax Fuel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenzx
My Cars:

Optimax Fuel

Post by citroenzx »

After accidentily filling my car with shell optimax i'm actually quite impressed, acceleration seems a lot better and smoother and it only costs another couple of quid a tank so i'm thinking why not.
Also a few people that i've spoken too have said that their economy has increased due to not having to put their foot down as much.
What are peoples views on it??
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I too have heard about slightly better economy etc but then I dont bother using it these days as the Supra does so little to the gallon its beyond help heh. As for performance, it may help a bit although modern engines are typically programmed for 95 octane so I dont know how much they will adjust themselves for 98. My Visa however prefers it as it should be run on 98
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Do you work for Shell????
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

heh! Most of them have some form or super unleaded these days all claiming the same kinda thing. I wonder if theres ever been a conclusive test done by a magazine or something ie to find out the mpg and any power gains etc?
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

well my zx certainly gets up to speed better then it does normally,
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Made no difference to my 2cv but then it doesn't have much power to start with!
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

haha
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

Every 3 tanks or so I use BP Ultimate or Total Super for the cleaning properties (I suppose a drop of redex would do just as well) and find more rapid acceleration especially on motorway. Never found much difference using Shell Optimax 'though.
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

When I had a Clio 172 it mad masses of difference to run Optimax,on normal Super UL the car would boom and sound very much out of tune.. hence I never even tried regular.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It makes a huge difference to my 205 GTi. It allows the correct timing to be set, rather than the retard recommended for 95 Octane Unleaded and the whole plot runs far nicer with better MPG. Any car originally set up to run on 97 Octane fuel (old UK 4 star), provided the valve seats are up to it will benefit, especially if the ignition timing is reset to the setting originally advised by the manufacturer for running on 4 star.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

so is the better MPG because of the fuel or because you dont have to drop the pedal a far?
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Our (R reg) ZX and (P reg) Xantia are both TD and though am still not sure whether there is any saving on fuel consumption -- if there is, it's not much -- the BP Ultimate definitely does make both engines run more smoothly.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

yeah well you will get a more consistant and cleaner burn, like putting the bosch super 4's into the car
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Getting a new (2-stroke) brushcutter on Friday... anyone know if the ultra type of petrol is better to use in them than the ordinary grade?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Forth</i>

Getting a new (2-stroke) brushcutter on Friday... anyone know if the ultra type of petrol is better to use in them than the ordinary grade?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
They don't care!!!
Any old rubbish will be just fine in one of those...