Pay as You go Road charge plans

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

madasafish

Post by madasafish »

The thing is: satnav will not work.
Can't work.
How can it detect a car with no black box?
It can't.
But a ground based system: checking each car past a post has a black box.. can and will.
Typical ill thought out Gov't system: designed by muppets..at maximum expense.. to minimum effect..
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

What complete clap trap - suggestions of black boxes. If you can get a mobile phone unlocked for a few quid it wont take long to get a black box decoded too. Yeah pay as you go if a fair way of arguing for taxes, but not in this way. Why not abolish road tax, and adjust the fuel tax. Use more, pay more. Drivers of gas guzzling cars pay more for it, and ulta economy vehicles pay a lot less for the same miles. It might upset the classic car owners, but then again for many its only a case of a couple thousand a year, and a lot of classics like my 504 still pay full wack tax anyway. It might cause a hoo-haa at DVLA with jobs etc but vehicles will still need registering. The extra tax collected from all the current un-taxed vehicles running around will pay fairly too. Perhaps some of that revenue can go to sending us MOT reminders - odd they soon tell you if you havent payed tax, but not if your vehicle MOT is expired and could be unsafe (joe bloggs wouldn't know a perished brake pipe from a good one). Rant over!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think you have hit the nail on the head here. Just think how much time, effort and COST goes into claiming unpaid car tax. The last thing we want now is another useless IT system. Scrap car tax and put road fund on fuel, the more you drive the more you pay[8D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The life of "secure" systems is measured in months or weeks, by the time the thing is implemented it will already be obsolete, and what about enforcement? disconnecting black boxes as an income supplement bring them on, my GPS reciever is very reliable but anything near the aerial tends to upset it and disconnecting the aerial makes it not go.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

The Gov (any gov) tend to give a "worst case" scenario at first, then water it down so poeple will think its better.. I will wait for a lot more information and want to see the final draft idea before I even think about its pros and cons.. [;)]
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi folks,
when oh when will the powers that be come to their senses and realise that the motor car is here to stay for the foreseeable future and canot so to speak be uninvented nor is it a toy merely of the rich and privellaged.
I live in Newarthill a small village just out side Motherwell, I stay 2 miles from the M8 motorway and use the said motorway ever day to tavel to the south side of Glasgow to work a door to door distance of almost exactly 20 miles. This journey on average takes both going to and from work about 25 - 35 mins, going by public transport try 2 1/2 to 3 hours now does anyone honestly expect me to add 5 to 6 hours a day to my working week....and I know there are many many more people out there in the same or similar positions....use public transport don't make make me laugh.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

"For passenger leaving the UK you may now board at any gate that leads from the country" AAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh. I'd rather have dinner with the KRAZY frog then have this shower of s**t making more transport plans. This Goverment is determined to alienate the driver and the pedstrian by yet money money wastage on yet more hair brained, ill comcieved moronic plans. When will they relise that life IS NOT JUST ONE SOUND BITE AFTER ANOTHER. And while I'm ranting, what about good old Johnny Pescote turning down a Toyota Prius, a world class eco car and he turned it down because as his advisors said and I quote" the deputy priminister DESERVES the BEST car he can have," WHAT the *&^%$£ am I missing somehting here? Wright I'm getting drunk in hope that this night mare will end soon.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

"For passenger leaving the UK you may now board at any gate that leads from the country" AAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh. I'd rather have dinner with the KRAZY frog then have this shower of s**t making more transport plans. This Goverment is determined to alienate the driver and the pedstrian by yet money money wastage on yet more hair brained, ill comcieved moronic plans. When will they relise that life IS NOT JUST ONE SOUND BITE AFTER ANOTHER. And while I'm ranting, what about good old Johnny Pescote turning down a Toyota Prius, a world class eco car and he turned it down because as his advisors said and I quote" the deputy priminister DESERVES the BEST car he can have," WHAT the *&^%$£ am I missing somehting here? Wright I'm getting drunk in hope that this night mare will end soon.
I'm with you on that one. I think we need to find an alternative engine source and fuel for our cars,instead of worrying about conjestion. Why don't they properly promote and invest in new technologies
As an aside I did like Johnny Pescote's new solar panels[:D]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

If they do this i'm out of here we already have to much tax and big brother antics and i'm not far off moving either to poland, OZ or the states as it is...
Andy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

The Gov (any gov) tend to give a "worst case" scenario at first, then water it down so poeple will think its better.. I will wait for a lot more information and want to see the final draft idea before I even think about its pros and cons.. [;)]
They do give the worst case scenario at times, at other times they give the best case scenario.
"It is, therefore, a fiscally neutral scheme with no increase in the overall tax burden on road users."
Do you honestly believe you'll pay less tax when the new tax scheme comes into force? Do you think the government will be saying something along the lines of "What super luck, we've accidentally raised more tax" or "We've accidentally raised too much tax revenue from the motorists, lets give some of it back and put the taxes down a bit" ?
If you wait for the final idea, the consultation is over and you're being handed your bill. Bend over please sir...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

A well balanced view on the subject may be found here.
I suggest printing out that page and handing it to anyone who thinks road pricing is a <i>good idea</i>™
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Without getting political, my experiences of Labour governments go back to the Atlee post war government. That one and every one since has brought in laws for the best of intentions but without thinking them through to their logical conclusion*. The result in each case has been disastrous and this one, if it ever sees the light of day, will be the same.
*An example from Atlee and his merry men. After the war cars were in very short supply so you had to pay a deposit and put your name on a waiting list (usually about a year). People were doing this and, when the car eventually arrived, were selling them on, new, at a handsome profit over the new price. To stop this, the government brought in a law that required the new owner to keep the car for a minimum of two years before they could sell it. Result - two year old used cars selling at a handsome profit over the new price!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Ha, stop congestion and use public transport, by upping the costs for us drivers. I wouldnt mind, but if i were to use public transport to get to uni every day, it would take me another 6 hours a day in traveling, and cost me and the mate of mine who shares the lift about £30 more a week. The other fact is, the nearest bus stop to me is over 2 miles away! Its a dumb idea and wont work
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<font color="teal"><i>"Its a dumb idea and wont work"</i></font id="teal">
But that depends on what they actually want it to do.... as previous postings have mentioned, it's our nu-lords and self-appointed masters' excuse for hitting the people of Britain with even more taxation - direct and indirect - and fines; an exercise in crony profiteering on behalf of corporate interests; yet another demoralising blow in their ongoing psychological warfare against popular sovereignty and self-determination at any level, keeping everyone as cowed, frazzled, depressed and disorientated as possible; and a terrific way towards their Stazi tracking our every move....
In those ways, it could work all too well.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Forth</i>

<font color="teal"><i>"Its a dumb idea and wont work"</i></font id="teal">
But that depends on what they actually want it to do.... as previous postings have mentioned, it's our nu-lords and self-appointed masters' excuse for hitting the people of Britain with even more taxation - direct and indirect - and fines; an exercise in crony profiteering on behalf of corporate interests; yet another demoralising blow in their ongoing psychological warfare against popular sovereignty and self-determination at any level, keeping everyone as cowed, frazzled, depressed and disorientated as possible; and a terrific way towards their Stazi tracking our every move....
In those ways, it could work all too well.
Yes, this quite nicely sums up the true state of democracy in this country.
Many, many moons a go when I was just a youth, I stated that it was good theat we lived in a democracy...
The old sage to whom I directed this comment replied "My boy, we live in a two party dictatorship" It was a long time before I really understood his words but I do now, except perhaps his words should be modified a bit to say we now live in a one party dictatorship.
We surely do and this is but just one of many facets of it...
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

I've been hearing this idea being bandied about for a while now, and it's silly.
It's also silly to suggest that road tax should be placed onto petrol. Do you not think we pay way more than what is fair in duty & VAT on petrol.
We pay VAT on duty after all!! Tax on Tax!!
Personally I think people are too comfortable these days, and won't stand. If we want to change things there are ways to make the government listen rather than moan quietly. Even the fuel protests a few years back were really feeble & achieved nothing.