BX slug-o-matic

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

BX slug-o-matic

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi1
What's your impressions on a '88 1.9D slug-o-matic BX?
[:D]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I had a 1.7RD BX and a 1.7D Visa.
Not as slow as you may think and excellent fuel economy, Id guess the1.9 has bit more go and similar economy.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I once drove a ZX non turbo auto and had to take a calender with me to measure the acceleration!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Ahh but what are you used to peter?
To be honest if it keeps up with average traffic and can sit happily at 70-80 mph thats all i need these days. If it does 50 -55 mpg into the bargain, wayhay. :-)
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

A BX 19 Diesel Auto is not the right car to escape after committing a crime. To be honest, this engine is not the right one for that kind of transmission. I have it in my BX with a manual TurboD box. It's really not a racing car, but I had the chance to drive a Diesel with auto box for comparison and was surprised that there could be something accelerating worse than my car. Especially when the engine is cold, the car has no acceleration at all but the engine runs very high before the box decides to switch to the next gear. I didn't like that at all. I think if you're a 2CV driver you could accept the acceleration in combination with the engine "sound". Only a Xantia 1.9D auto is worse...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My first BX was a non-badged BX. I.e. a <font color="red"><i>BX-basis</i></font id="red"> model.
This had the 62Hp 1.4L Visa engine and the 4speed box.
I did not consider this as a slow car - just an average everyday runner.
The next BX I got was the BX19RD - with 62Hp and the 5speed box.
It was very much the same as the BX14 - except for the diesel noise and much better fuel economy.
At the same time we had the CX22 - and the BX diesel was in no way catastrophic slow compared to the CX. It was simply a completely different car.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my j reg 1.9D non turbo flies,when i request it to she gets up and goes,i think it is posably how they are set up regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My wife had a BX TZD turbo estate which she passed on to my son when she got her ZX td, she now complains about how slow the ZX is in comparison and I agree, I think it is in some ways the ZX less refined, admittedly the interior doesn't rattle but you can hear the engine inside up to about 30 MPH which you couldn't in the BX. My son also has a 2.8 Capri but he drives the BX most of the time cos its nearly as fast. It certainly accelerates better than my XM 2.1 td.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The auto Diesel will not break your neck accellerating, local running about mileage is only 30 mpg, onger runs they get the same as normal 1.9s local stuff they stay in first gear.
Stewart
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 406 V6</i>

Hi1
What's your impressions on a '88 1.9D slug-o-matic BX?
[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't have to even drive one to know it's the sort of car I'd never want to drive ... ever ...
If it's the same god awful slugomatic they fitted to the BX1600 trs's I can only imagine how bad it would be. At least with the petrol motor you could rev the life out if in a vain attempt to make the car drivable.
seeya,
Shane L.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I really dont have any problems whatsoever with my ZX 1.9D auto. ok its not fast, its about comparable to the everage 1400cc petrol engine performance wise, but its real strength lies in its proven reliability and economy.. Thats what it was built for, and it does it extremely well over vast distances.. [^]
Mine has no cat converter, no ECU, no turbo, no abs, no air bags, and no air con.. I dont need any of that stuff, they are just more problems waiting to happen.. I personaly love my lil old 1.9D auto.. Best car I ever bought. And - - - virtually no annual depreciation either [:D]
Its horses for courses.. If you want a nippy car, go petrol.. But if you want a car that will cover thousands of miles at 70 mph week after week with no problems then you cant beat a straight ZX 1.9D. And not many cars are as rust free either [:D] [^]
As a matter of interest, can anyone name a comparable (non citroen) diesel auto?? I doubt it.. I looked for 2 years and failed to find a better option. At this moment in time I really dont think there is one.
kiwichas
My Cars:

Post by kiwichas »

Very happy with 1990 19tri auto so far, but I have only had it 11 years.
BMW
My Cars:

Post by BMW »

I really can't spot much difference between diesel Citroens and the tractors used on agriculture. [8D]
Yet, I know an old man who uses a very old tractor to go to work at 20km/h and is also very happy with it. Reliable, economical, bla, bla.
Wwll, I respect him, as I respect those who enjoy diesel Citroens, but personally, I prefer cars to tractors...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Dad has a tractor (and a JCB) which have similar Lucas fuel pumps to the ones Citroen have used in the past.
You should try sitting on a tractor some time, one where the gearbox bolts to the engine and the metal seat bolts to the gearbox, the Citroen is luxurious in comparison. My Dad's tractor has a rather draughtly cab so its cold in the winter, and in the summer you're sitting on top of the gearbox with hydraulic lines going backwards and forwards so it gets hot in there.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

BMW. You obviously havn't driven a turbo BX. Take a look at the performance figures of the new Audi A8 diesel!