Haynes BOL Alternative

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Dave
Which Russek do you have?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I used to like the old Autobooks manuals too, they went into great detail on how to repair things, IMHO the Haynes books have become poorer, I have both the older type and the newer one for the BX and the old one seems better.
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Certainly the "brown" BX manual is better than the blue cover version I have seen.
I also own H-BOL's for cars I have never possessed such as the GS/A and the CX. Why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Certainly the "brown" BX manual is better than the blue cover version I have seen.
I also own H-BOL's for cars I have never possessed such as the GS/A and the CX. Why?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Why? May I hazard that they contain some little nuggets that apply to the BX but is not in the BX Manual.
I find the combination of the 205 and 405 BOLs are useful on both cars. What one misses out there is a good chance the other mentions it. I had a 405 before the Xant, now happily in the hands of my son so I still look after it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here is a list of sections in my homebrew BOL so far for anyone interested....
I'm still very keen to hear of any worthwhile additions...
A copy of <b>Hydraulicnotes.pdf</b> which can be downloaded by searching in google on that filename. It's DS, GS and CX based but it still is a good text and ensures a good fundamental understanding of Cit Hydraulics.
The rest of the notes have been culled from the forum at www.citroenz.com as follows..
<b>Overhauling a Pressure Regulator
Accumulator Sphere Notes
Overhauling a Safety valve
Overhauling a Height Corrector
Overhauling a Brake Doseur Valve
Tackling Fast Ticking Problems
Bleeding Barkes on Hydraulic Models
Procedure for replacing LHM
Diesel Cold Start Device notes
Getting Pressure Back On System - Pump Priming
Citarobics
Handbrake Adjustment on the BX and Xantia
Replacing the Cambelt (Relative Indexing)</b>
Most (all I think) of these articles, and they are excellent, have been written by Anders(DK)and can be found in the Tips and Tricks section of the Q and A Forum at citreonz.
Thanks Anders for all the articles.
As a finale, I printed the first page of the hydraulicnotes.pdf file onto an A4 size sticky label and stuck it on the front of the binder.
I did a similar thing with the PDF of the GSF catalogue for easy reference...
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Nice one citrojim,
Totally agree on Haynes `we didn't understand it, so didn't print it' manual !![:o)]
If you’re going to share what you have, and you’re happy to do so, I've a web server to host info.
As we speak a couple of us Forum members are working on making the official Citroen training manuals, full of technical data, diagrams and how things work, for Xanta/XM Hydractive I, II and Activa suspension available on the web.
And guess what… you’ll recognise some of the diagrams from Haynes as they came from Citroen.
Hopefully soon as I think this stuff is like rocking horse sh1t! Two manuals - I'm only half way through first as it's a scanning job... phew [xx(][xx(]
Cheers
Steve
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The french RTAI manuals are very good, they are in french but they are worth the price alone simply for the pictures and data tables, which are easily understood; In fact you dont need the text as the pictures and diagrams negate the need for it!
I have had one for every car I have owned so far, getting one for the 306 HDi when I next go over. They are available from most of the lrgest hypermarkets with the attatched car sections.
casperdog2
My Cars:

Post by casperdog2 »

Im new to this site and am glad that I have found it, I own a xantia and Im over the moon with the technical information that I can get on the Suspention. thank you all for your hard work.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Mr Galagher is apparently sorting out an upload to T'internet of the Citroen Tech Manual for the Xantia - I hope he lets us know when its done and dusted.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Funnily enough, I have an orange 205 manual which I cannot remember buying. I have about three BX manuals and a Russek which is very good, with clear line drawings instead of murky photos.