I want an Activa, but i'm scared

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ripsaw82
My Cars:

Post by ripsaw82 »

How much does it cost to go to the french car show? Might see if some of my mates want to go to the show, its something to do, and its only 80 miles from where i live.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

um cant remember... I know chris's (my cousin) mates are going form crew so if your mates dont want to go you can probably get a lift in either a 106 rallye or a blue Activa. Or of cause there is Vanny who is coming and staying at mine on friday night, if you ask he may give you a lift and i can put you up all weekend if you like. (you will alos get the pleasure of seeing my tip (read house) and the activa TD project that is in bits in my back garden...
VANNY! how much are the tickets mate???
Andy
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

£10.
I think I would sit on your car for a year or so. It has had so much spent on it, to dump it now would be a huge waste. Assuming nothing else goes wrong with it, you can get a years worry-free motoring and Activas aren't going anywhere, so after that there will be plenty around that have been well looked after.
I was about to sell my 406 2.1TD, but I had to spend about £1500 on it, so I kept it for another 2 years. Then Activas had come down in price so I could get one as a straight swap for my car.
Just my 2p-orth.
ripsaw82
My Cars:

Post by ripsaw82 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by macaroni</i>

£10.
I think I would sit on your car for a year or so. It has had so much spent on it, to dump it now would be a huge waste. Assuming nothing else goes wrong with it, you can get a years worry-free motoring and Activas aren't going anywhere, so after that there will be plenty around that have been well looked after.
I was about to sell my 406 2.1TD, but I had to spend about £1500 on it, so I kept it for another 2 years. Then Activas had come down in price so I could get one as a straight swap for my car.
Just my 2p-orth.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats what i am thinking, but i am sure my gearbox is going. Sounds like the drive bearing. When you press the clutch everything sounds ok. Come of it and this rattling, catching sound is heard. got to be HUNDREDS to change a gearbox. Along with clutch gone heavy again, and car not "soft" anymore infact extreamly hard i feel its going to eat into a wallet again..... and plow money into a car i am very attached to, but do not want because the Activa is what my heart wants...
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Your gearbox problem sounds like a noisy release bearing. I would wait and see if it gets any worse if the suspension is getting hard again that could be something else. Seeing as your so close to my family and its some ware I end up from time to time I’m more than happy to have a look and give you my opinion, if I’m not up soon enough Vanny is quite close to you too. From experience letting your hart win all the battles isn’t always the best option sometimes you are better off sticking with what you have got.
The other thing is if you bring the car to the FCS your welcome to join us on the activanet stand and we can always have a look at it then (there will be several members of this forum there as well as activanet members) and on that note if any one is going feel free to drop buy and introduce your selves, we will be right next to the BX 16v.com boys so we shouldn’t be to hard to find, just look for all the Peugeot owners who have no idea why there are Xantia’s there and cant believe that there are still BX 16v engines in any of there original shells… (that’s meant as a joke I am a pitcrew on 205 gti drivers and I know that not all Peugeot drivers are oblivious to Citroens [:)]).
Andy
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Ah, in that case, ditch it.
I have found it has taken me a while to fully appreciate the Activas abilities. With each drive it continues to amaze me.
ripsaw82
My Cars:

Post by ripsaw82 »

I'm confused, the FCS, it is a kind of thing where there is a "show area" where people like you will park there Activa's then another area where people park there cars who are going to look at the show?
But the photo's on the site make it look like everyone is part of the show....
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Yeah deceptive there are a lot of people going to the show with clubs (if you go to the 205 section I find you sometimes get unfortunate rows ware you can see a standard car at one end and a fully body kitted one at the other and in between there is every stage of getting there! to be honest by the end of the day your just glad to see a standard car, its what put me off being a boy racer with a body kit...)
any way there is a separate car park for the "normal" cars and then anyone with a club and a club car shows there’s. Because there are so few ActivaNet members coming we will have the smallest stand by far. The stands are basically sectioned off areas of the field and the clubs each have a dedicated area.
Remember to bring food with you I always find it very expensive to eat there and I myself will be going out of the grounds for food at some point and people are welcome to join me at a local pub for a good meal and small amounts of drink. (It pulls you away from the show so you can have normal conversations.
Andy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

hmmmm, its an interesting plan andy, but i think there is no re-entry? could be wrong though!
Tickets work out at £12.50 including delivery, but if your not showing your car then you CAN buy them on the gate! Alternatively i can get you tickets on the gate AND get you onto the Activa Net stand, email me off topic to find out how!
if you want tickets then visit www.frenchcarshow.co.uk
The attraction of the french car show is basically deciding what engine to have! there is just about every single possible PSA engine from the last 25(ish) years! It's a pretty good day out!
As for the car, stop paying so much for easy to dojobs, you've been fleeced a lot by the sounds of things, have you been taking it to a main stealer? It does sound like a gear selector might have gone slack, but im no expert on gear boxes, there about the only part i would still just swap for a replacement! there not too expensive and might be better than an Activa finacial wise and family wise, but if you want the Activa, then bloody go and get it!
I went a bought a car i really really wanted and while it spends more time in parts and has cost me a huge fortune in a very short space of time, i love it to bits, love driving it and when im not sulking about how failure prone it is, i like to fix it too!
ripsaw82
My Cars:

Post by ripsaw82 »

Got a few mates now who are interesting in coming to the show (there response was yes sounds like fun, i want to come, shame its only got french cars!) So i will drive there, buy tickets at the gate and look out for a group of Xantia Activa's. Use to have a BX, so will be sweet to see some of the top end ones of those on show. I think my Xantia knows i am thinking of getting rid of her, since the ride home from work tonight was quite smooth compared to the drive there this morning. Also gear changes were better.....typical!
patneenan
My Cars:

Post by patneenan »

Where and when is the French car show?, as I'm interested in going to it. I couldn't open the link to find out.
By the way I've an activa with 113,000 miles and it's no more trouble than any other car with its mileage.
Go for it !!
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

pat go to www.activanet.co.uk there is a few posts there under events, we would be really please to have you along as we are very down on cars. the date fo it is the 29th of this month.
if you wnat to know more or have any problems email me at andyc@bx16v.com .
Andy
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

The only thing I would add to this as a non activa owner of a vsx is are the large diameter hydraulic pipes they use on the VSX also present on the Activa, because in usual Cit fashion to save a few bob these large diameter pipes are like the original cit hydraulic pipes ie cadmium plated which lasts not too long,
My R reg VSX is the most rust free cit I've ever owned except for those large diameter pipes, which all have significant corrosion wherever they are exposed, I've Waxoyled them and hope that this will stop the rot. I don't know but I suspect that if any of them need replacing, especially at the front, you will wind up stripping the car down to replace them as they don't look like you can reshape them to get them to fit like the small diameter stuff
Pete
________
Suzuki Hayabusa
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

yes it dese have these pipes, and you never want to take your radiator and intercooler out to see the drivers side one its not a pretty sight!
Andy
patneenan
My Cars:

Post by patneenan »

I couldn't find the link on activanet nor your e . mail was available ( kept geting error messages)
Where is the fcs and the 29 th ? Is it of may?