1.9TD juddering tickover

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Ok, you probably won't believe this, but what eventually seemed to cure it was replacing the battery!

Nothing I did to the fuel system, including leak off pipes, made any difference at all. It was only when I had to replace the battery just before xmas that the problem stopped completely.

Come to think of it, the first winter a few years ago it started doing this really badly was just before the previous battery packed up too ! All I can think is that a dodgy battery somehow interferes with the ECU timing control??

It never was difficult to start, or lumpy when first started, it just had this lumpy tickover prob when it had been running for few mins and was starting to warm up. This has gone altogether now.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

edit: posted twice
My Cars:

lumpt td

Post by 8304 »

hi nick

ive read your post with great interest..

my zx td shows eactly the same symptoms, starting fine and then going lumpy - but only for a couple of miles, it smoothes out well before it warms up.

Mayb i am barking up the wrong tree beacuse i dont have any sort of ecu on my car but i wonder if my problem too could be down to a dodgy battery.. :?:

I have noticed that it is slightly slow on turnover on very cold morinings, this may suggest a weak battery.

When yours was running lumpy did it make any white smoke or any other smoke for that matter??

cheers

alastair
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Hi,

If your car doesn't have an ecu I would doubt the lumpy tickover is caused by the battery. I think on mine the voltage fluctuations of the warn out battery were upsetting the ecu somehow, perhaps making it adjust the timing - I'm not totally convinced this is the case, but I'll see if the problem returns. It never made any obvious smoke when doing this and fuel consumption seemed to be normal.

The electrics of the non-ecu version of the XUD engine are very simple, so I would think the tickover problem on yours would be much more likely to be fuel system related rather than electrical.