HDi 90 Clutch slippage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

fitting clutches isnt fun but its not impossible, you will need a very good set of ramps (your going ot be inder the car for a couple of hours), gearbox oil, a set of alenkeys and about 1 day on your hands. you will need to take the pas side drive shaft out, then unbolt the gearbox. then you should beable to see the cluch throught the gap between the box and the engine, unbolt it in the space you have and git the new one bolt it all back together, engage and regit the driveshafts and then fill the transmission back up and your done.
Now if you can do it in a day your doing well so that may sound easy and if the enigne is out of the car it is, in the car is a nightmare and not somehting i would want to do when i have a mecanic to hand who does work for me for £80 a day and i know he can do one in around 1/2 of a day :)
Andy
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

I was qouted by a garage for 5 hours labour , he said its a pig of a job, on these. Luck would have it , that a week after asking for qoute it stopped slipping and all is ok. Had the drop into 3rd gear problem and whatch the revs go up , for no increase in speed had to nurse the car in 3rd gear all other gears ok (apart from slight slip in 5th). Im so happy it cured itself.
PS now on 82000 miles
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpau</i>

How hard is it to fit a new clutch?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I just recently did a clutch and a cambelt on a Pug 309. Did it in a day, by removing the engine and box complete (bit of a faff) Doing the work (dead easy with the rest of the car not in the way) and putting it all back in (agan, a faff).
If you have other work to do on the engine at the same time, then a complete engine&gearbox out in one go does make all the subsequent work a whole load easier. Cambelt goes from 4 hours to 20 minutes! Clutch goes from 5 hours to 30 minutes. The saving of 8 hours on these 2 jobs is far more than the time taken to get engine and box out and back in.
In the middle of doing a clutch on a 1972 VW beetle at the mo. Pain in the backside, as the engine HAS to come out. Straightforward, but access is a pain.
David.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I changed the clutch on my old 306 DTurbo, so I know what I'm letting myself in for. The box had to come out on the one though and thats the hard bit. Luckily I had a few mates over and a trolley jack and engine hoist to move the gearbox around the subframe. Even harder though was lining up the gearbox and putting it back together, it wouldnt just slide on, but eventually it did! I'm hoping the HDi will be slightly easier in this respect, as it does not have a pull-type clutch.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

bl00dy hell, sounds quite involved! I'd love to have a go and Im sure if you take your time and do everything slowly and precisely there would be no worries, but ive got no balls to do it myself!! Plus no time either! Looks like Ill have to be moving my little box of tricks down a setting which is a shame, it slips in 3rd 4th and 5th if you give it full throttle once your in the peak torque zone [:(]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well I'll let you know how it goes, but I dont have time for at least two weeks to change the clutch, so I'll just have to stick a brick under the accelerator pedal for the time being!
Jon

Post by Jon »

It could be worth looking for a BE4R xox, the big one with the smooth casing fitted to later HDI's (My Blingo has one). Stronger box, bigger clutch and still cable actuated.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Cheers Jon, thats good to know, will bear it in mind.
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

Hello, I am picking up a HDI 90 Xantia ( 2000 Xreg ) on Friday, will that have the BE3 clutch?
Just a little confused after reading this thread....
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

BE3 is the gearbox type not the clutch! The clutch will either be cable or hydraulic. The car could even have a ML5 type gearbox
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

hmm so my confusion was in fact total....
I will ask the dealer when i pick it up, cheers anyway!
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

A hdi 90 will be a Be3 box with a Cable driven clutch, the hdi 110 has the ML5t box which uses a bigger clutch and its activated hydraulicly.
so if you tune the car with a chip you will have the same problems as the people on theis thread long turm.
hope this helps.
Andy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmm, my mate's got a 306 HDi he's had remapped. It has already done 135k or so, but it's a 2000 car, so plenty of m-way miles and probably on the original clutch. I wonder how long before I get a call asking if I want to help him drop the 'box out....????
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I have to say this tread is putting me off fitting the tuning box to my 2.1 what if that starts doing it! that will be a pig as the activa sytems make like much harder because of the extra spheres!
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Honestly I think its because my clutch is worn and not because it cant handle it. I have spoken with people running much more power than me on the standard clutch and its fine. I also spoke to the techies at my local dealer who reckon a new OE clutch will be up to the job, there reasoning being if they were that marginal they would see a lot more 306's with clutch problems chipped or not (eg those used for towing). I was running lots of power on my old 306 which had a smaller clutch and that handled it absolutely fine too, even at over 100K miles [:)]