cheapo multimeter

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

My local Tesco was knocking out Praktica 8X40 bins for £6.51 last year! WBM enjoys birdwatching.
as for the multimeter, if you can get one for £3, an LM35 chip for another fiver will make you a very good digital engine temperature gauge. E mail me if you'd like details.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I had the house alarm serviced (to comply with terms of my insurance) recently. The engineer left his multimeter behind.
Apparently they have to have then calibrated every year but it is cheaper to just replace them.
So if you know an alarm engineer.....[;)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The cheapo ones don't come with a certificate of calibration, the expensive ones do, it's part of the price. I've never know a multimeter to lose it's calibration, solid state electronics tends to last pretty much for ever unless you do something bad to it.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My local Tesco was knocking out Praktica 8X40 bins for £6.51 last year! WBM enjoys birdwatching.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Comparing the Praktikas to the Meades is like comparing the ride of an Astra to that of a BX- go to Lidls and get her indoors the Meades if they have any left: she'll buy you a 16vBX for christmas- the Meades really are VERY good for the money!!!!
See-http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=421, not quite as big a forum as this but equally as knowledgable!!!!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My most recent bargain was a Makro special <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have found the ocasional Makro bargain too (notably a cheapo Kingavon booster battery that has helped me many times with recalcitrant BXs).
However, it's worth noting that Makro is far and away the cheapest place to buy a new Haynes BOL - just make absolutely sure they don't try to charge VAT though (books are still zero-rated for VAT in the UK).
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

Do the Lidl still do catering size tins of kidney beans?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
A fart in every bean......
So, Stuart, you are on LPG now? ;)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I got about four of the meters from Maplin to carry in the garage and fleet about 2 years ago - one has had a new battery, and the all still work!
Even have a circuit diagram for them :)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Slightly off topic, but Aldi seems to have a good selection of items coming in.
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/index.html
£5.99 for a multimeter, but it looks better than the Maplin one.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Good week coming up at Aldi.... the multimeter is hard to resist, I'm certainly getting one and so's a friend; and their 100mm vice and the Audioline tv digital box thingie also look well worth considering.
<i>btw: keep an eye out at Lidl for their stainless steel wooden-handled spades coming back in; dead cheap but the best spade at any price I've ever used.</i>