I've motorized my rear blinds! ; link to pics now

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

HAHA superb you did it for me!! I did attempt to but it all got a bit complicated! Cheers for that.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

but what is your MSN name, or do you really use MSN? my best guess failed something to do with 9000! you know im gonna have to try it!
Is the motor reversable? Im tempted to use my old RC motor, but im not sure how well it will cope without gears! Looks awesome though!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My first car - a 1946 Austin 8 had a rear window blind operated by a cord which ran on pulleys and could be reached easily from the drivers seat. I was never sure if it was intended for sun or headlight dazzle - which must have been an extreme problem as the bulb size was about 25 watt and the dipping achieved by turning off the off side lamp and tilting the near side one with an electromagnet. The blind itself was alike a domestic rollerblind with a dark loose weave thin cloth. (ie semi transparent)
JEREMY
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thats interesting Jeremy- When a friend of mine saw it he said he'd seen some old Bently or something with a cord operated one.
Vanny, the motor is reversable, it wires upto a two way switch, probably like an electric window switch-these would be even better i think, as they spring to the middle when you let go. The wire doesnt get tangled as the blinds keep it all under tension. As for using an old RC motor, i think thats what it is! Its a 540 size. You just need some way of gearing it down to at leat a 50:1 ratio I would guess.
My MSN details are adam_bx@hotmail.com - think thats all you need. I do use it a lot- even communicate within the house on it sometimes!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My Maplins (paper) catalogue in fact lists a number of different specs for these motors, and indeed a number of different but similar motors/gearboxes. The specs mainly seem to be different gearing so it may be possible to reach a satisfactory speed/reliability compromise.
The motors with gearboxes are not very expensive (£18.99 if I recall)
jeremy
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Vanny dont use the 540 moter, it wouldnt be something i would even consider trying, buy a geard one get it working and then fit one to my xantia :P
Andy
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thats right Jeremy they are £18. Ive looked at the box mine came in and its a 148:1! So id guess a 100:1 would be ideal. Its slightly slower pulling the blinds up so I wouldnt go for too much speed. Ideally you need a sensor that turns the motow off in a given direction when the blind reaches the top or bottom-I currently have to watch until they get there as it would rip itself to bits if I left it running. I thought about a timer circuit but it would have to be different on the way up to the way down.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

The circuit box (and switch) for the one-touch window on the TZD/GTi etc. might do what you want. I've sometimes thought about "one-touching" the sunroof control on a BX hatch in similar fashion.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Umm right yeah that sounds like a good idea- Do you know how these work? Vanny, i tried adding you to my MSN but your e mail was obviosly not the one you use? Adam