Lies, Damned Lies and the Haynes Manual

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I think a campaign should be started for the "Return of the Exploded Diagram".
Haynes used to nick the exploded diagrams from the factory workshop manuals- maybe its a copyright thing, but they have certainly dumbed down a lot these days, and the printing and photos are definately lower quality.A lot of the procedures they used to include they now don't, considering them to be to difficult-some of their 4 or 5 spanner procedures are relatively easy- I think they have fallen foul of nanny syndrome and think that if someones corpse is found with a set of spring compressors and an open manual then they'll get sued........ :roll:

I have two 205 manuals, a new one that I bought, and an old one that the bloke I bought the car off fetched round a couple of days later #-o -the earlier one is about twice as thick as the newer one.....

Any spares shop should have plus-gas in stock!!!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I hate the new style manuals, harder to read, less info and less precise(if thats possible)

Glad i have old vehicles, at least they have matching old manuals.
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

rory_perrett wrote:Rule of thumb - estimate how long a job will take, double it and then move up one unit of time.
Example - 5 mins = 10 hours, 1 day = a fortnight, although the odd job has still been know to over run.
Rory
Murphy's time calculating law :lol:
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I too have both old and new Haynes manuals and find the old ones go into more detail, I do seriously dislike the bit that then says Refer to section 2.1.7 then reassembly is the reversal..... The best ones I have come across are the old autobooks manuals, i had one for my old VW camper, even went into details of reconditioning lightbulbs :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.