Nurburgring lap record

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Not to be pedantic or anything, but the poor girls name is Sabine. She benefits from local knowledge on the ring, having grown up on it's doorstep, apparently she first drove it at 17 years old, she has done a lap or two of the place over the years.
Clarkson is an integral part of Top Gear, much in the same way that the Stig has become, you can't replace him!
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Not wanting to be a "know it all" but the Discovery that Clarkson drove up the mountain had road tyres on it (as I remember) the only modification was a electric winch on the front (correct me if im wrong) [:I].
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I think you are I'm afraid! He did state that it had beefier tyres on it.
Also, I like James May. He adds a nice, relaxed balance to things and I loved his paint job on the XJS! He represents the part of the driving world like me that get a little fed up with the tyre squealing antics after a while. Why get rid of him?
Sabine should be the fourth presenter though! Don't start getting strange ideas about me!!
As for fifth gear, it really has become the poor cousin to Top Gear and they've pinched ideas from the newer format too like having a "fast track" etc. The only reason to watch is Vicki!
Ian
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Not that impressed with Vicky Butler-Henderson. She has the personality of a tartan thermos flask.
Still, at least she can drive.
I stand corrected on Sabine's name. Perhaps if Jeremys prolapse of his L4 /L5 continues to be a problem then we WILL see more of her (wonder if anyone from the Beeb monitors pages like these?)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I prefer Marty's interpretation of her name [;)], 'Sabrina' does indicate the way our lil minds are working. [}:)] [8)] [:I] [:D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Sabrina? Obviously I'm not watching as many <i>educational</i> films as you boys [:)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

And there I was thinking you were refering to the Triumph development and racing engine!
here you can see why it was known as Sabrina
http://www.geocities.com/michelotti_tr/sabrina.jpg
jeremy
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

[:I] [:I] [:I] [:I] [:I] [:I] - Guess im worng then [:D].
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

All very well trying it with a Merc Sprinter,but Tiff did a few laps before in a 135 bhp Transit & 156 bhp Sprinter,& the Transit beat it around the track.All because the top 156bhp Merc has traction & stability control.I think that was in the last series or so last year.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I've driven a short wheelbase VW LT with the "big" five cylinder diesel engine. It's effectively a Sprinter in disguise. It was one of the worst things I've ever driven! The VW transporter is a wonderful van and feels just like a car. Wouldn't have guessed that the Merc van would be so awful! It was quick though in a straight line.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

My dad had a new VW Transporter loan van for a day while his Caddy was in for a major service, He came back shocked at how quick & how well it handled for a van, lol
If it had fitted in the garage he would have considered getting one, Thats how impressed he was with it.