Xantia - even standing still its moving!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

j_roc

Xantia - even standing still its moving!

Post by j_roc »

Just thought I would remind people who drive a Xantia to always leave them in gear when you park them. A guy who lives by me forgot to, and it rolled 150 foot down a fairly steep hill, smashed through a iron fence into a kids playground and finally came to a stop in a friends mums garden after ploughing through another fairly strong fence! Thankfully nobody was hurt ( 9:45 pm). Just thought I would mention the issue, as the Xantia can suffer handbrake failure after a long run.
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Its not just Xantia's that suffer my 306 went off down the street of its own accord.
Paul.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Allways leave them in gear when you park, don't have to worry then
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The odd thing about this is that my 94 xantia would run away at the slightest opportunity despite the handbrake being full set and it had had the handbrake modification.
My 95 onwards Xantia's have never suffered this problem.
Strange very strange.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Sounds as if you should turn the front wheels so they're towards the kerb as well.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

We have had this discussion a number of times before. Use the search facility.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

on bxs and xantias if evrey now and again when you think the hand brake lever is coming to high,try on level ground such as filling station forcout with engine running pressfirmly on brake pedle 2or 3 times this will adjust hand brake mec,unless your cables or and calipers have not releast completly,they are ment to adjust up in normal use but never do regards
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My old one attacked an Orion with a family in it! I now practice Welsh hill parking, brake on, then turn the wheel into the kerb, then leave it in gear.
Stewart
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Ha ha, a Ford Orion with a family in it - no change there then!
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I thought my old XM had been nicked when i came out of a shop to find it not there, but noticed a car that was exactly the same as mine down the other end of the car park that was taking up 4 spaces, turned out to be mine and had just rolled down the slope on its own, the handbrake was firmly applied before i left it
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

You all know why? The breaks at the front of the Xantia (BX/XM) are always used for the majority of breaking and the disks expand through heat. When you pull up they start to cool and the disks shrink and the next thing you know you have no hand break because the pads are not touching the disks any more (or don’t have enough friction).
My cousin found this in Newcastle a few years ago and ended up having to walk about 1/4 of a mile to find his car the trailer and my 205 (on the trailer) parked across a roundabout close to the town centre. He originally thought the car had been stolen but when he heard lots and lots of horns he figured there must be something up so went to have a look... he was very lucky as it had made it round an S bend in the road and a corner and hadent hit anything!
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

Has the old message been forgotten? Whenever applying a Cit. handbrake always do it with foot FULLY pressed on footbrake. Even on my 1in3 driveway there is never any movement against the gears when I come to drive off, even when set after a long journey. (Yes ,it does mean I leave it in gear)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if caliper has not adjusted its self you will not be putting full presure on pads even when hand brake lever is in back seat,refer to my guide earlyer in this discution regards malcolm
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

Oh, I must just have been lucky over all these years (and all these Cits) then.[:D]