Baptism in LHM...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Baptism in LHM...

Post by CitroJim »

This evening I think I can fairly say my baptism into the world of Haydropneumatic Citroens has taken place. When I got my Xantia last week it was explained to me that the system still had Hydraflush in from the recent work carried out on the car and should be changed soon. I have seen very conflicting reports on how long it should stay in so I thought I'd do an LHM change and bleed the brakes following all the good advice on this fair forum. I'm taking the car on it's first long journey this weekend so I want to be sure all is tip-top.
Changing the LHM is actually easier than it seems. I took great care and no problems were encountered. I even found the plastic disc in the bottom of the tank and replaced it on the level gauge..
Doing "Citarobics"; now that's fun. My neighbours loved it.. [:D] Why do people giggle over a car going up and down?
Bleeding the brakes; now that really was fun. It would be a cinch but for the silly place the front caliper bleed nipples are. [:(!] They could not be in a more inaccessible place.. To boot, one was blocked and I had to completely remove it to clear the hole.
At least the rear ones are in a great place. [:)]. I found very little air in the front but the rears were full of air. I beld through about a pint each side to be sure it was all out.
Now, I don't know if it's my imagination or wishful thinking but now it has real LHM in, the ride seems even better and the brakes are vastly improved in feel and stopping power. I tried a full-on emergency stop from about 50MPH and [:0][:0] best brakes I've known. they're bloody incredible now.
All in all, a good evenings work!
I'm really falling in love with my Xantia.
Thanks all for the good advice on this forum. It has helped me enormously today.
Oil and filter change tomorrow...
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

A satisfying days work. It’s a good feeling when you spend time on your vehicle and can feel the difference. Well done!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Now you only need to remove the spring from inside the brake pedal tubing that goes to the valve (talked about in the forum a month ago, IIR) to see how a REAL Citroën brakes and feels on the pedal[:D]
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My pressure regulator doesn,t beat anymore since I changed the accumulator sphere!
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I've noticed that LHM seems to give a better ride and breaking too, we have dont this on the wifes activa and its a m uch better car now. (fixing the rattle helped almost as much thought :))
Andy
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It may just be a placebo effect to justify the higher price but I am sure my BX rode better on Total LHM than the Halfords own brand stuff...