Driving test!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

turbolag

Post by turbolag »

I'm a first timer. I was helped by having held a full motorbike licence for a year, so I could concentrate on driving the car and didn't have to worry about the roads themselves as I was used to them.
If I recall correctly, 4 pro lessons and a fistful of sessions with my Dad. It would've been 3 lessons, but my first test was cancelled due to fog, although I couldn't see more than the odd bit of wispiness off on the far horizon.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

My instructor told me that how easily you pass depends on the area you take your test. So the South-East (where I live) is extremely difficult, as there is a strategy of keeping people off the roads, whereas the north of Scotland is much easier.
I've certainly become a better cyclist since I got my driving licence, now that I know how drivers behave and react. I'm probably a better driver as a result of my cycling too - I'm always very keen to know who and what is around me. Of course I'll always know if Turbolag is behind me, as he beeps for cyclists [:)] - don't take it seriously, pulling your leg - Oscar
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

I'm a first-timer too. Many sessions from age of 14 on disused airfields in Norfolk when on holiday (THAT shows how long ago it was!) in Dad's Rover 100 then 6 months on road in same. Two lessons in Vauxhall Viva- it was going to be one but after the first 10 minutes instructor stopped me and said 'you are a good safe driver but haven't a chance in hell of passing driving that way!' Hence the second lesson and things like hand signals! Since then clean licence- (and a PSV).
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Good stuff, I'm impressed with your theory results.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ActivaV6uk</i>

Didnt check the rear mirror enough,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My instructor always used to accuse me of this.
A trick I was told was to have the rear view mirror slightly out so you have to move your head to get a good view. That way the instructor/examiner <b>knows</b> you have looked.
Once I started doing that he stopped "testing" me on what was behind.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Well the test is only hours away! 9:37am (monday morning) I'm about to go to bed and get some rest but will read the forum in the morning before i go and take it! wish me luck people it will be nice to drive a car rather than give advice/ strip or repair them!
Andy[xx(]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Hope it all goes well, break a leg! [:)]
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

So as i'm reading this now the test has just began. All the best and I hope it goes well for you.
Paul.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

WOHO! I can drive (just lol)
Passed the test with 9 minors which wasnt bad considering I have never been so nervouse in my life! whats best is one of them was because i couldnt find the horn on the corsa (stearing wheel not like the citrones stork located horns)
any way i'm off to calm down!
finaly i can use the V6
Andy
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well done mate. [:D]
Congratulations on passing your test. [8D]
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ActivaV6uk</i>

whats best is one of them was because i couldnt find the horn on the corsa (stearing wheel not like the citrones stork located horns)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well done mate but if your Xantia was a phase 2 you would have had no problem with the horn[:D][:D]: it took me weeks to get used to the horn on the wheel after several years of horn-on-a-stick on the phase 1[:)][:)][:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Well done Andy, congratulations..
Now go and enjoy driving your car! [:o)] [:D] [^]
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Congratulations
Paul.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

well done to you.
now your driving the things they will go wrong more often and you can post more of the things you find out here :-)
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Well done Andy, how's the job hunting going?
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Job hunting not going well partly because I’ve been concentrating on the driving but will be spending all my time now filling that void in my life ware work use to be (shame but I now need fuel so I guess I have to).
Went out for an hours drive in the V6 tonight not impressed with the car juddering at 70 really puts you off driving at that speed. Not sure if its balancing or tracking unusual though that it starts at 70 and last about 7 mph above and on coming down form 70 lasts 5mph... I am sure that I will work out what it is soon. the car is a bit of a surprise its breaking is awful in comparison to a manual acceleration on kick down is nothing short of amazing 30mph at 1000 rpm with no complaints :). it needs Activa the car is slightly unruly in corners and junctions round about 30 is as fast as you can go with out feeling uncomfortable a bit of a shock when the wife has taken them normally at 40 and when empty at over 60mph! not sure if i can cope with the auto box long term every time I come into a junction i look for the stick and then remember also I use a lot of engine breaking and the auto you have to use the break to slow down in any way!
It's going to take me a long time to get good at driving again I am showing a lot of the problems that new drivers show.
Pass plus time with my friend’s dad I think :)
Andy