Which head gasket do I need xan19td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

basil

Which head gasket do I need xan19td

Post by basil »

At last I have removed the head[8D].
I will be getting the head skimmed so need advice on a new gasket.
The one that came off appeared to be a metal one,on the rhs (looking from rad)there are some notches.From the back of the gasket there are 4 notches then another 3 notches[:(]
What do I need to replace it with and would gsf be able to supply[?]
Thanks
________
Mercedes-Benz C208
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

With the head skimmed you generally use the thicker gasket (I just grab the thick one) If you want to really push the boat out go for the "metal" one its listed in the GSF catalogue as a Volcane TD gasket but dont be put off by that.
Stewart
basil

Post by basil »

I have looked on the gsf site I can find a std metal gasket or a repair metal gasket,which one is the correct one please [?]
________
Epilepsy Advice
Last edited by basil on 22 Feb 2011, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i never use these metal gaskets on repairing my customers cars before having head skimmed did you have it presure tested then before re/fitting you head have valves sunk to corect depth otherwise they will cotact pistons regards malcolm
peter1138
My Cars:

Post by peter1138 »

Citronut, please use some punctution. It's very hard to read what you've written!
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

My Xantia is suffering from small pin-sized bubbles in the expansion tank when the engine is running (rad cap removed) - could it be that the head gasket is on its way out. Also the STOP light, oil pressure light and suspension pressure light are on altogether as soon as the engine starts. Does annyone know if they share the same earth, and if so could you please tell me where it is?
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

* I would appreciate it wery much.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

A continuous stream of small pin-head sized bubbles does indicate that this is probably a head gasket beginning to fail. Thankfully on the XU/XUD engines this seems to come on gradually, so you get a fair degree of warning.
I have heard pros and cons about both fiberous and metal head gaskets for these cars. Personally, I think it probably doesn't make a whole load of difference, as the failure mechanism is differential expansion between the block and the head (different materials). The repeated cycles of heating and cooling of an engine over many years actually wear the gasket out. I removed one from a U25D (C25/CX diesel engine) a while back that was actually worn thin at one end!