XM rear suspension suddently hard

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

XM rear suspension suddently hard

Post by Thunderbird »

Cheers!
A XM mk2 rear suspension got suddently hard as a stone, after the car was used for carying a really heavy cargo. Front suspension remained soft.
Could the rear spheres be discharged in that single and shorp trip or there might be something else "broken"?
The car is mk2 (8 spheres). Suspension rises as normal.
Thanks,
Thunderbird
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Hard suspension is a sign of flat spheres, inside the spheres is a metal tang which the diaphragm can, if run flat touch and puncture causing the sphere to fail, perhaps your heavy cargo caused the sphere/s to fail in this way, does your LHM have any bubbles in it? when a sphere failed on my car the LHM looked full of tiny bubbles, also a dead sphere that has failed in this way when removed will squirt LHM for some time as the fluid seems to get the wrong side of the diaphragm, unsure where to start on the XM though but removal of a rear sphere and observing squirting LHM might give a big clue.
Stewart
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As above + is the ride height normal? if it is fully up or down it will be against the bup stops, if normal must be sphere failure.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Suspensions levels well to normal.
Do you think the heavy cargo onlyh damaged the wheels' spheres or also the rear hydractive and anti-sink sphere, thus making these two spheres needing replacement too?
Before the heavy cargo ride was excellent.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most likely just the suspension spheres, if the pressure in your yours was low anyway, the heavy load could well have finished them off. It's likely that the diaphrams have ruptured and the spheres are completely full of LHM, hence no "bounce". Get acouple of replacements from GSF they are not dear.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Check your LHM level in the tank -if its gone down the equivalent of two spheres (about half a litre) then you know your trouble!
//NiSk