BX GT Digit collected today - Now with 'Photos

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

One thing on the spheres: The DIGIT and GT used to have the same spheres as the normal 16/19 petrol and 19 Diesel. 500cm³/55bars front (95630572) and 400cm³/40bars rear (95???974).
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

fastandfurryous - if it's any use to you I found a couple of sections specific to the BX Digit in the Revue Technique for the BX 16/19 - including an exploded diagram of the Digit dash.
I scan them for you if you're interested - though the scan may need some cleaning up as the RT suffered a bit of water damage. The content is probably the same as the official manual, but could be handy. There are also some wiring diagrams specific to the Digit too, if they're not already to be found in the old brown Haynes.
Let me know if you need them.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Absolutely! I'd be most appreciative of that.
I haven't yet got a HBOL for the BX, but will be getting one soon. I'd be very surprised if the HBOL has any details about the Digit dash, as it was that rare.
My email is david@fastandfurryous.co.uk
Thanks again, David.
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

Just scanned in the electrical schemes of the DIGIT and mailed them to you... The schemes are for a LHD DIGIT. AFAIK the cables of the RHD were the same just to the point where the dashboard of a LHD is. From there, the cables were elongated just to the other side of the car. The wiring just around the dashboard should be the same.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Come on, what is that seat? I'm with Adam, it's from a Montego. I'm going to go further (or too far): HLS spec.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Sorry, you're both way off the mark. I've had some heaps in my time, but I've never owned (or wanted to own [:D]) a Montego. PaulMi16 was closest, as it's from a MK2 Cavalier, that my father bought new in 1988 and I broke up about 3 years ago due to terminal rot in the sills.
The seat is very comfortable for using as a desk chair, which is not surprising considerint the reasonably large amounts of money that Vauxhaul have invested in designing seats that are comfortable to sit in for hours on end. Certainly far better than any office chair you will ever buy. I think even Clarkson said it once: Vauxhall. fairly awful cars, but comfortable seats!
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

[ PaulMi16 was closest, as it's from a MK2 Cavalier,
Thank-you
Paul.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

My genuine BX manual is little help. It covers the Mk.1 well and mentions both the GT and Digit as models. However there do not appear to be any specific Digit pages.
The BX GT road tests I have are one from Motor and the other Autocar... both in 1984.
David
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Thanks for looking anyway. I've now got a wiring diagram from BX-Basis (Ta Muchly for that!) so that should keep me occupied for at least a little while!
Has anyone else here driven a digit dashboard at night? I've now found the dimmer for the display (which you have to dim manually if driving at night) but the rest of the display stays dark. Should it be backlit?
Also.. did MK1 BX's not have a temperature gauge? seems odd to have an electronic dipstick, but no temperature display! The "over temperature" warning lamp is usually useless in most vehicles, as the lamp doesn't mean "beware, your engine is a little warm", it means "Ha ha.. you've just cooked it. Find £300 for a new head." Which isn't exactly helpful.
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

The dimmer of a DIGIT is different than that of a normal BX. It should have a fully-equipped 4-pin-connector (the normal BXes only use pins 1 and 4). No BX MkI (except for GT/19TRS/SPORT with the "normal" clocks like CX MkII) had a temperature gauge.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

David - I'll send anything BX-Digit-related I can find in the RT - bar the circuit diagram, which would also be for LHD. It may be a couple of days yet though. THere are normally plenty of Haynes BOLs on ebay - look for one close to you so you don't end up paying postage!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

If you get hold of a "brown" BX manual - the older one - there's plenty of pics and info on dismantling the PRN dashboard, as well as plenty of Mk 1- related stuff. Nowhere near a scanner yet - as soon as I am I'll pass the RT stuff on to you.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Thanks for that DLM.. any info is much appreciated.
Just for a larf, I went in to a Citroen dealer today to ask what body panels are still available for the MK1 BX. I was surprised to find that quite a few are still get-able. I did feel for the poor woman on the parts counter though, when she asked what model it was, and I replied "BX 19 GT Digit." "err, a What?" was the reply. [:D][:D][:D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

hmmm, be very suspicious of parts people telling you they can get strange items like body panels! THey just look at the computer and often assume that if there listed then you can get them! They still lis tthe BX shell of about £10,000, but i'd be VERY surprised if they would deliver me one!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

I did think of that at the time, and asked her if the panels were actually available, or just shown. Apparently, once a panel (or any other part number) goes out of production, they are now informed. Many of the BX panels had this marker on them, but some of them (most noteably ones that get damaged easily) are still available. The ones I remember are Wings, front panel, rear panel and door skins. She seemed to think that they can still get bonnets too, but at a cost of £arm + £leg + £major organ.