BX GT Digit collected today - Now with 'Photos

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Well if you go air/con, I expect you'd go with an original system as they're possibly the best on the market bar none, but the BX to my knowledge (well over here anyway) didn't have a pollen filter, in fact in our climate if you run a BX with the air/con on and the fresh air intake open, it takes about 2 minutes to pack up the coil rock solid with ice, lose all your temperature and the accumulation of ice build up will then piddle all over the carpet like a blown up matrix.
I have however seen BXs that will literally form ice on the lower part of the windscreen on a tropical summers day..
Biggest problem I can see with a diesel conversion would be what problems would it raise with the fancy dash as regards the instruments it has and what it may need.
Alan S
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

<b>2 litre bx? :)</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
We didn't see them over here, but they were around over your way and in Europe.
They went from an alloy block to a cast iron one basically the same as the engine used on the Mi16 series 2
There was a couple of the guys on the BX16V club that had them a few years back but they were not common and these days you rarely hear mention of them.
Alan S
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Not in england I dont think. We only had the ally 1.9 and then only a handful of the 1.9 with the cat on it then they stopped the bx 16v here. Rest of europe or france at least must have got them. The 405 mi16 never had the 1.9 cat, only the noncat then straight to the awful iron 2 litre like I had in my zx 16v
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You shouldn't have any problem painting the plastic bits-the bonnet is painted anyway, its not self coloured and you can use a coat of isolator if you're not going back to bare metal/plastic.The plastic windows are best stuck in with black bathroom sealant, rather than screen bond-once its cured they won't budge without considerable force.
I wouldn't worry about wrecking a quote- 'potential classic'(that'll be the day....) by putting a diesel in it- if some concours fanatic buys it off you in the distant future just keep the old motor and sell it with the car
The only reason so many Stags survived into classicdom is because people heaved out the Triumph V8 and put something else in just to keep the car going. Nobody wanted the old motors at the time so people just kept them at the back of the garage and there's now probably more original Stag motors than Stags left, now that people want the original V8 again!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That dash is wacky to say the least. Please make sure you get a photo of the MOT man's face when he gets in to test it!!!![:D]
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

That car is amazing! I did see a 1.6 Automatic BX Mk1 with a digital dash a few years ago and i spoke to the owner- he just wanted a cheap car and had ended up with it-I do remember quite a few BX's with a digital dash. Is the "DIGIT" spec BX a special version of the digital dash BX as I dont remember the ones i saw being quite so wacky and they didnt have that keypad down in the central console nor did it have those sliding controls.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Adamski... are you sure they were digital dashboards? The lower spec MK1 BX came equipped with a rather bizzare dashboard anyway, which had a rotating drum with the speeds on it, and a fixed pointer in the middle of the display. It also had a linear rev-counter along the bottom of the dash unit. In the UK the DIGIT dash appears to only have been fitted to a select-few BX 19 GT's, wheras on the continent, they had a special edition "BX DIGIT" which although based on the 19GT, was a model in it's own right.
I think you're thinking of this:
Last edited by fastandfurryous on 13 Dec 2005, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

That dash is wacky to say the least. Please make sure you get a photo of the MOT man's face when he gets in to test it!!!![:D]
I don't know what other people do, but I never allow mr. MOT to get into a car of mine. I always stay in the car throughout the test. Most garages seem quite happy with this arrangement, as it means they don't have to get their apprentice to sit in the car. If mr. MOT starts getting shirty about it, I just go to a different MOT centre, after all, there's plenty about.
It would be rather funny to see him try and find the indicators though.
Another interesting point about the PRN dashboard arrangement: I heard at the time (mid-to-late 80's) that the whole reason the PRN dash was dropped was because the indicators don't self-cancel. Just think, if Citroen had designed a solenoid-canceller for the rocker switch, we might still have bonkers dashboards on new cars!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I don't know what other people do, but I never allow mr. MOT to get into a car of mine<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How do they test your handbrake travel,service brake reserve capacity,play at the steering wheel, security of drivers seat, view from drivers seat, etc, etc? More or less impossible without getting in the car!!
Its a slack tester who doesn't test these himself- the tester I go to won't let the punter sit in the car, or even in the testing bay,and if his sidekick is out he won't do a test because he has to put his name and reputation, and possibly your life,on that roadworthiness cert.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I think changing the engine over to diesel power would be a shame.. The car is a classic..
Please leave it as is.. [:)] You can buy a cheap diesel runabout for work, but you wont find another car like the one you have.. [^]
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Interesting. I can't think of an MOT where I haven't been in the testing bay, and actually invited to have a look under the car to be shown what the problem is. Granted, on some occasions the MOT tester has sat in the car, but never actually done things like the brake test or lighting tests.
On an HGV MOT the test centre / tester actually insists that the driver stay with and drive the vehicle throughout the test. The tester gets in to do the things you've highlighted, but otherwise just calls out instructions to you. I prefer this, as it means that the chances of some numpty MOT man testing a Landrover handbrake on the rolling road are greatly reduced.
(For those who don't know, a landrover "handbrake" is actually a 5th brake, fitted to the output of the gearbox, and should never be tested on the rolling road as serious damage to the differential and gearbox is possible.)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

The car is a classic.. Please leave it as is..
Can I paint it? Please? [:D]
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

quote: "Adamski... are you sure they were digital dashboards? The lower spec MK1 BX came equipped with a rather bizzare dashboard anyway, which had a rotating drum with the speeds on it, and a fixed pointer in the middle of the display. It also had a linear rev-counter along the bottom of the dash unit."
Yeah maybe this was what they were then. It must have been the linear revcounter i remember- I remember something like this because something took a long time to update-it must have been the revs.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Well done David for saving this old timer. I've never seen a Mk1 with a large rear spoiler before, the rest of the car looks in good order apart from the battle damage.
Please don't over modify it though, maybe change the weak front subframe for a later one, but leave the original engine in place. Sorry.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I would keep the DIGIT as it is, it is a true classic ! I would however suggest LPG as a viable option for good fuel economy and widely accepted in the classic scene and insurance. It can be easily fitted, and you wont need to modify that great dash for diesel electrics.