Xantia HDI Engine mount?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Xantia HDI Engine mount?

Post by howiedean »

My Xantia has slowly developed a drumming noise from the engine bay when driving with a low RPM. I've taken off all the engine covers and it is still there. My question is has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the cause?
I'm suspecting an engine mount although there is no clonking ie large engine movement.
Cheers
Just another niggle to add to the now large list[}:)]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

i posted about this a short while ago, its the top engine mount and assosiated links you need to replaced, the link mounts first and then the main mount (if its a 90bhp then its just got the main mount any way)
Andy
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Thanks for that andy I'll have a look at it, mines the 110 aswell.
Cheers,
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Ok give me till tomorrow morning and I can even get you the cit part numbers, this is a common problem with activas and is really annoying, you’re lightly to find it’s the mount that bolts to the inner wing that is the problems as it’s too small for the job it does.
Andy
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Andy,
There is also a special operation at citroen to place some aftermarket springs on the break calipers or something like that...
At low revs, their absence make a low-frequency vibration/hum.
I know of this problem, but usually Citroen stealers in portugal dont really know about it...
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Hi Rostami
ive heard of this but therre is no mention of it in any of the citroen technical bulitins ive read. what i would like to do is get all these common faults and fixes and create a technical artical on how to fix them DIY the rear mount was really very easy even though a friend and i who originaly looked at the job thought that because of the space restrictions it would be a nightmare. these kinds of things have to be usefull to xantia owners and at the moment there are very few perminant articals being writen its more like this form up one off help.
Andy
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Andy,
I am more than willing to help.
A close friend of mine is a citroes mechanic. He told me that he himself forced citroen France to support them on this low rev noise problem, and that citro dealers in general have no clue that the problem exists. Two citroen dealears I contacted were absolutely amazed to hear of such a problem and showed me their technical articles where no such thing could be found. What I dont really understand is why does citroen act like they want to keep their know-how restricted to France. Maybe I am totally wrong and this is pure paranoia.
My plan is to take detailed pictures of this so-called special operation. I would be glad to contribute to any effort that would make Xantias a little less shady :)
Rostami.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Thanks that’s really great, if every one just wrote down the little things they had to do it would make a great library of all the things you can look at when you have a problem and then how to fix it too.
With Citroen I think it’s a case that they don’t want to pay for all the material to be translated to English and all the other languages and in the past this meant that some of the more obscure information simply isn’t available. the good thing is that with the amount of info I’ve managed to get recently and with others who have access to info like your self in other country’s we can build a really good database of knowledge.
when I am finally made redundant I’m actually going to go and talk to the local Citroen garage and see if i can find out what is needed to work in there garage, if I already have the skills then i will work there just so that I can get a good discount and so that I can get access to all the info that may be of use to me in the future. I'm sure the wife won’t be impressed because I’m sure the pay wont be ass good as that of an IT manager but still it will save me a small fortune and may mean that a lot of people benefit from the information I can pick up.
Andy
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Here in portugal a good citro mechanic can easily earn as much as a junior IT manager :)
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

it would be nice to think its the same here ive got 8 years work experiance now and i can earn £20,000 a year browsing the web doing nothing, the problem with me is i'm a problem solver and i need something to do other whise i start to get depressed... so i'm looking for a chalenge! if any one knows of a job in the midlands and surounding area that is network management mostly MS software with any type of DB or size of organiseation that needs a competant IT manage feel free to email me! to be honest id be willing to take anything that is a chalenge right about now, i should be looking at £24-£30k but am happy to negotiate!
Andy
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Well, lets see what can be done!
My friend mechanic is into some deep problems lately but as soon as I catch him, were in for some serious work and picture taking.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Sorry to go into details but are the £30k / year what can be earned before or after the taxmen put their hand in our pockets?
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Average salary level in Portugal is about one third of the one we can find in UK.
In some professions it drops to one fifth and on other it gets closer, but the UK one is always higher.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Thats 30K befor tax and you can say you will lose about 30% to the govenmet then you have to pay tax on almost everything you buy, including tax on tax for things like fuel!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Hummm...it´s not so well paid as I had expected, although highly technical. Im an RF guy and would love to return to england, but I guess it shouldnt be as easy as it looks.