front suspension going up and down

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davek-uk</i>

Did the greasing have the desired effect, Simon?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Steady on, we havn't had a chance to try it yet [:D]
Might get a chance this weekend...I'll let you know. The rams aren't too bad compared to some of those described here, but the ride can sometimes be a bit uneven at the front, (causing a slight diagonal rocking on the rebound over large bumps) and occasionally letting the car down from from full height to normal height there can be a rather loud groan that sounds like the struts shuddering, mainly from the front left...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
My front struts are terrible at sticking. If I do a little citrobics at the start of a journey it makes quite a difference to the ride - but how often do you have the time to play like that? I must get around to cleaning (properly this time) and regreasing the linkages and then checking the state of the strut rams again; it'll be interesting to see how the grease has faired.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What kind of grease did you use ? We'll be using Lithium L2 for various reasons, one of them being that its compatible with the LHM and seals.
Regards,
Simon
bikerk100rt
My Cars:

Post by bikerk100rt »

Hi All. been busy so not been able to check on things. When the engine stops the front of the car sank immediately and took only a few seconds. I have put in the hydraflush and things are slowly getting better. Methinks that the ride height is now different as there is no difference in height between the two highest settings. the acc sphere was replaced since the problem started and did not cure it. I will wait until 1000 miles is up and replace the hydraflush with LHM and then see what happens. this weekend I shall check the ride height as my trolley jack has been replaced and I have new axle stands.
Gary (bikerk100rt)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davek-uk</i>

Did the greasing have the desired effect, Simon? My front struts are terrible at sticking. If I do a little citrobics at the start of a journey it makes quite a difference to the ride - but how often do you have the time to play like that? I must get around to cleaning (properly this time) and regreasing the linkages and then checking the state of the strut rams again; it'll be interesting to see how the grease has faired.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this thread as it dissapeared into the bowels of the previous message list pages [:D]
Yes, greasing the struts did help a bit. Although this car wasn't doing a repetitive up and down correction like some people described, the front had a habit of over correcting, then correcting back the other way again.
For example going from right up to normal height it would always overshoot and go most of the way down, then have to correct back up to the middle again. Now it drops from full height to normal height without overshooting.
Also the occasional creak comming from the front left when going from full height to normal has gone.
I used Lithium L2, and did three grease then up/down cycles, then wiped off the excess from the bottom bump stop.
I also used a long thin zip strap to clamp the top of the gater on securely - as when Dad got the car BOTH gaters had fallen away from the top, allowing water and dirt to get in, for who knows how long before he got the car, and no matter how much I fiddled they wouldn't clip in securely...
(And letting water and dirt into the ram is a sure way to end up with sticking struts.... luckily in this case there was no rust on the ram)
Regards,
Simon