My Xantia gave up on me

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Yes, I'm sure it must be something else.
That's good news - if it's under the guarantee, no need to worry about it.
The HDi is more sophisticated and therefore less reliable than previous diesel engines with mecahnical injection, but it's worthy any way.
Besides the silence and economy, I really appreciate its performance after tuning. At low revs the torque makes it behave exactly as a V8 petrol. Superb and delightful to drive in the city.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Finally the root cause of the engine stalling was found...
It is some kind of valve that cuts off fuel pressure near the common-rail injectuion system.
I have no ideia what it is not what it´s there for but it seems like it blows often!
I am really glad that it is nothing too serious!
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Rostami, excellent! I'm glad to know. [:)]
bob754

Post by bob754 »

could you describe where the valve sits, my 2.0 HDI cuts out when accelerating hard in 5th,(I have tested it and can repeat it). The next day the "light" is out, I have replaced the lift pump, fuel filter and cleaned the MAF. Anyone outther have any ideas before i give citroen an arm and leg for a diagnostic.
My Xantia is fitted with "Traffic Master" and every time the engine cuts out on restarting the damn thing tells me the license is expired any one know how to remove it. sorry for the long post,[?]
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Before filling station tanks are refilled, they must (by law, I think) be dipped to establish that they have sufficient capacity for the proposed load. It's usual (again, possibly required by law)to apply a compound to the dipstick, which changes colour if water is present. If a station has a significant amount of water in its tanks, it should be well aware of the fact. If it continues to use the tank, draw your own conclusions...
bob754

Post by bob754 »

dnsy.
I dont think its water the fuel doesnt stay in the tank that long (74 miles to work). It seems to be heat related, just when i am putting my foot down in 5th. when the weather cools the management light goes out ?
Rostami: can you describe where this valve is on the engine, and can anyone help with a diagram/breakdowm of the HDI fuel system.
This time (friday) i was crawling along in the heatwave, got going then engine stalls. Restarted and the management light stays on untill today (monday) cooler ???
any ideas anyone
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

bob,
The valve is placed on the common-rail. I believe this link will help you a lot. Good luck!
http://www.christiantena.pwp.blueyonder ... operation/
bob754

Post by bob754 »

Rostami
Ta for that will get to it this weekend and report back
bob
bob754

Post by bob754 »

Rostami
Shock horror, two sensors on the rail, one £6 ither £180 ??
any idea which one you had changed, The car is booked in to get its brain read<
bob
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Hi bob
The sensor I changed is a Bosch sensor that screws on the Commom Rail. It has a 3 pole connector to it. The part that screws in has a hole in it, and the screw is conical at the end (barely noticeable).