pad wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Strikes me Mr. Non-franchised garage doesn't know what he's doing. No peugeot ever made (that I know of) has a handbrake on the front wheels, whereas the Xantia does (from what everyone else has said... I've yet to pull one apart). There is likely to be brake pad commonality between a large number of Peugeot and Citroen models though, as they are both under the big hat of PSA group.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I had a look through the EBD brake pad catalogue and based on their part numbers, the Xantia shares some front pads with the XM post 99 CTs, HDI 110 and V6s share pads with the XM 2.5TD, but no other pads are shared with anything else.
They may be quoting different part numbers for identical sets of pads, but based on their numbers they share no pads with any Peugeots.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

It is a fair general point about the potential for pads sticking in the guides. However on the examples I give of many Xantias doing this it is *despite* the pad change involving every bit of good practice you guys mention. In fact looking at cars overall, not just Xantias, I often find excess paint or a slight oversize construction means that taking a light file to the pad backplate is required to get a snug but free sliding fit.
David
merseyscouse
My Cars:

Post by merseyscouse »

The pads fitted to my car are lucas gdb1336 as fitted to a Citroen xm. a Peugeot 406 and Citroen xsara??? the mind boggles as it does not mention xantia!!!!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D J Woollard</i>
I often find excess paint or a slight oversize construction means that taking a light file to the pad backplate is required to get a snug but free sliding fit.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just a file? that's not bad going. On both occasions when I changed the pads on a Pug 106 1.4D I had to use a grinder on the pads, and remove several mm of pad and backing to even be able to get them to fit, never mind smooth running!
merseyscouse
My Cars:

Post by merseyscouse »

took car back to the non franchised dealer today, he had to fit new pads £79, he lubricated the slide gear but told me the capilper is faulty and i need a new one £100 fitted....any more thoughts
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

So the dealer would rather charge you for a new caliper than grease the caliper slides.
Personally, if it were mine I'd grease the slides before even considering replacing the caliper. Greasing the slide isn't hard to do, you don't even have to remove the pads or the disc and it only needs 2 tools to do it, one being the wheel brace, the other being a torx bit (and a wratchet).
merseyscouse
My Cars:

Post by merseyscouse »

he is adamant he lubricated the slides last year..pads lasted for 9 months 8000 miles!!!
is it possible it could have some kind of fault????
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

If only one pad is wearing it has to be the caliper slide, nothing else could cause it. The caliper slide doesn't go wrong, they just need lubricating because the grease in the dries up. They don't really wear because they stick when they get dry so there is no movement to cause any wear.
I lubricated mine about 18 months ago with grease and I had to do them again recently because the grease had dried up, this time I used a load of oil to re-oil the grease. The slides have rubber boots to stop dirt getting into them and to stop the oil / grease from escaping so its fairly suprising that they need doing again in such a short period. The older Xantia I have, I greased the slides a couple of years ago and they've not been touched since.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by merseyscouse</i>

he is adamant he lubricated the slides last year..pads lasted for 9 months 8000 miles!!!
is it possible it could have some kind of fault????
So, does this mean he cant be bothered to check, and lubricate them this time.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

The only way a caliper can be "faulty" is if it is leaking fluid from the piston seal, or the piston has siezed in the cylinder. Anything other than that, and mr. mechanic is telling porkie pies.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

The only way a caliper can be "faulty" is if it is leaking fluid from the piston seal, or the piston has siezed in the cylinder. Anything other than that, and mr. mechanic is telling porkie pies.
I agree, and having worked on a wide variety of this type of sliding caliper mechanism from cars, 4 X 4's, vans, trucks up to 44 tonnes, and coaches. Then the first thing you do check, other than the pad wear is the caliper(s) ability to move freely and slide.
Also needs to be considered that there is a lot of work done by the brakes on any vehicle whatever it's size converting kinetic energy into heat energy. So, it's essential to ensure the brakes can do their job properly.
After all it's best to do the job properly, do it once, and do it correctly, thus ensuring that the vehicle is maintained to a high standard.
So, the vehicle is safe, the customer will return, and the safety of other road users, and pedestrians is ensured.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

If the slides were pitted or badly worn they could be considered faulty, but this doesn't happen to Xantia calipers. Once they get dry and have no grease they stick, they don't become gritty and wear.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by merseyscouse</i>

I wonder if he did the job properly, and actually cleaned out all the old yuck from the slides before greasing them. If he didn't, then that was only half-a-job, and there's no wonder it's all gone again so soon.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

It is my experience that with a single piston sliding caliper arrangement a sticking caliper piston can produce excess wear in just one pad despite the slides being lubricated and appearing to move OK.
Also the fact that a piston will press or wind back in during a pad change does not always mean it isn't sticking under operating conditions.
However I would refer back to a previous comment I made, some repairers seem to forget a problem with the handbrake cables causing the pads to drag, often in turns, could be a cause.
David