I'm back with dial up

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

2mb broadband is bloody lovely[:)][:)]
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Even 1Meg is awesome after a lifetime of dialup[:D], and I'll get the 2M upgrade automatically when it's available here. It's even sweeter when you're getting 4 months free because they screwed up the account and want to keep the customer[8D]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Makes a change to hear that a company wants to keep a customer. There's too much time spent by companies on attracting new customers, and yet they seem not to care for who is already with them. Which is daft because that's like pouring water into a bucket with holes in it. [:)]
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Problem is, the only way you get that sort of result is to bypass the normal "customer service" procedure. After several days without unmetered access, I got so fed up with the whole "Indian Experience" that I called OFCOM and asked for a complaints contact at BT, something the Indians were stubbornly refusing to give me. The number I got was a plain old 01xxx geographic code, which connected me to a very helpful chap called Ben who promptly started kicking ar$es. Even he had major trouble sorting things out, but sort 'em he did - and he kept me informed by telephone of progress, even to the point of calling me 3 times on "B-day" to make sure the kit had arrived and everything was working smoothly (it did, and it was).
Now that's what I call customer service. OK, the fact that I've been a premium paying customer more or less since BT Internet got started probably helps, but if I were them I'd give the offshore boys a serious audit, they must be costing BT a fortune in lost custom.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Im in the process of sending Jon a big document - bit by bit and I am on 56k dial up......
.... a carrier pigeon would be faster
Guess who is ringing Blueyonder on Monday morning.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Im in the process of sending Jon a big document - bit by bit and I am on 56k dial up......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hey Marty
Send it to me and I'll get it to Jon faster[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

out here in the boonies, ADSL is thought to be some sort of sexually transmitted disease [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] . I have ISDN which with onspeed effectively gives me 256K on a good day and 14.4 on a bad one, depending on wind direction, how much it has rained etc [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] (no I'm serious). Still Yorkshire Forward has given our local guys money to set up satellite broadband with satellite uplink as well as download (no phone required which will be brill), it has been promised for about 6 months now, but should finally be here mid May, all i need to do is cough up the £250 installation fee and 2Mb upload & download will be mine for £20 a month.
Onspeed is definitely worth it for dial up, they assure me I'll still get a speed bump even on a 2MB ADSL, now all I need to do is to change this 1997 model Mac i"m on and things will be better........ on the other hand I need some new tyres ..........
Pete
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Carrier pigeons you say...
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt?number=1149
A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers
http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/writeup.html
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Marty the pigeon is waiting for you !
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Great, Marty, You'll eat tonight!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Great, Marty, You'll eat tonight!
So, the menu (not cooked by Gary Rhodes or Jean Christophe Novelli) will be. Image
Pigeon pie, and potatoes with a dash of LHM, suspended [:)] in a mix of:-

Sorry, Marty but I could not resist a bit of Image twisted return sarcasm mate. [:)] [;)]
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Am I the only one that doesn't get it?
What exactly is that a picture of?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Tripe.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I tried this link http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/
first time I got 956.6 kbps, my broadband rocks[:D]
Stewart
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »